Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Granting cube access to a Windows group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shairal

Technical User
Oct 13, 2005
US
I am very new to SQL BI – so please bear with me … I am trying to give a Windows group access to a cube I created in SSAS.

I created a role in BIDS for my SSAS project, but could not find where I give the Windows group access to my cube. Thinking I created the role in the wrong place, I went to Management Studio and connected to my Analysis Server. I again created a role that I wanted to assign my Windows group to … but again, I don’t see how I can assign the Windows group access to the cube. Oddly enough, I cannot see the role I created in BIDS in Management Studio, or vice versa.

So, I have two questions: 1 – How do I give a Windows group permissions to connect to my cube (via Excel); and 2 – why does the role I created in BIDS not show up in Management Studio under my Analysis Server; they seem totally independent of one another. I assumed any role created in BIDS would inherently show up in Management Studio (sorry - I really am a newbie!).

Thanks in advance for your assistance! ... oh, I'm using SQL ’08.

create your role in BIDS then open this role in BIDS and you will be able to edit the various pieces of the role including members.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Thank you for your reply. I must have something else set up wrong then because I still can not create a connection to my cube from Excel. I noticed on a sample that in the SQL Server Config Manager, the Analysis Services was set up to Log On as Local Systems, I have mine set to Log On as Administrator. Could this have any effect on connecting to the cube? Or does my Windows group have to be part of one of the SQL Server groups I see listed? Thank you so much for your time!

I believe your Users Windows Domain needs to be the same as that in which SSAS is running.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Being a little analyst who was recently drafted (oh, I mean volunteered) into this DBA position, I’ve had to ask our network guy what you mean, he confirmed my users and group setup.

BUT as it turns out, we recently purchased a new server for our SQL ’08 and the server’s fire wall was stopping my pc from connecting to the data.

Nope – drafted is the word I want to use! :)

Thanks for all your assistance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back