Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grammar resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLSister

Programmer
Jun 18, 2002
US
This link is one grammar resource I recently found. Please add more so that when people are looking for ways to improve their English, they have a list of places to go.

I have found this about.com site helpful with the basics:

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8i & 9i - Windows 2000

SQLSister,

Would it be appropriate to develop a list of books for recommended reading? Perhaps this is a different thread?

I'm no English teacher, however it seems an intake of reading tends to improve ones writing.... Would compiling a list of newspapers, magazines and books be an exercise in futility because of the broad range of English skills we are trying to improve?

Dave

You are right, reading does improve your skills and spelling.

I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with. Maybe we can put it as an FAQ to all the Forums as most people probably aren't aware of this one?

To all if you know of a book or site you want on the FAQ, please let me know.

Members interested in improving their communication skills will increasingly follow this Group. I think it would be best to start a new thread and hopefully members will post short replies of good resources. CajunCenturion, this Group's owner, can edit out posts/comments that don't belong.

Dave

Reading will do the trick everytime.

But, I don't think a recommended reading list will help much. I believe the only reading that will be helpful is reading that genuinely engage the reader. And since reading material tastes vary greatly - I don't see how a reading list will help.

Dimandja

You mean like picking up a Playboy magazine? The person who would do it, hardly needs a recommended list.

The real problem - in my opinion - is instilling the desire to read in someone. You can take a horse to the well...

If a carpenter is not inclined to reading, no amount of available How To manuals on carpentry will make them read.

Dimandja

You're assuming the existence of perfect knowledge.

I read Playboy, yet I cannot claim to know the title of very nudie magazine published in the world or even in the U.S.

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't know of every English grammar, syntax, punctuation and spelling resource on the internet -- and I am interested in the subject. So seeing the posts of others on this topic can give me knowledge I do not have.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214,

I was addressing the issue of list of books for recommended reading previously raised by Dave.

Oh, and sleipnir214, I find Playboy quite engaging - and good for learning English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back