Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graffitti Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonWMC

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a picture of a bloke standing next to a brick wall.
I want to create a graffitti effect on the wall, so it looks kinda realistic.

Anyone done this before and have any ideas how you do it ?

cheers

simon

Photograph a bloke standing next to a wall. Paint graffiti on a new layer and tinker with the blending and/or transparency options for that layer.

- - picklefish - -

Hi Simon

If you are good with the mouse and have some artistic talent (which I don't!!!) this should be easy for you.

Create a new layer above your existing photo layer then use the brush tool to create your graffiti. You will see in the BRUSHES palette there are many options to help you emulate a spray can...play around with the scattering and the fade options and there are even options to let your repeated brush strokes build up paint (like a real spray can would) or just apply paint to the previously unpainted bits!!! Experiment till your hearts content!

If you get that bit done to your satisfaction...thats the hard part over! Now you can just reduce the OPACITY (in the LAYERS palette options)on that layer and your grafitti will merge nicely into the pic of the wall. Alternatively you could change the blending mode of your grafitti layer (again in the LAYERS palette options). Probably the Darken or Overlay mode would work but depending on your colours just try every blend option till something comes up roses!

Good luck, have fun!

Thanks guys

In the end i used a type mask with a few differant fonts, then used the spray can. After playing with blending and the opacity, it doesn't look too bad !

take care all

SImon,
Go to On his site there are a number of tutorials on how to use the liquify tool which you could use on the wall so the graffitti would like it was part of the wall, following curves etc. There are a couple on adding graphics to a flag and the process could be used for your purpose. You might also try using the Displace filter.
I've had some luck using it by creating a copy of the layer that you want to put the graffitti on and turning it to black & wht. or gray scale and using that layer for the Displacement Mask.
Hope this helps. You can email me and I can email you back a couple of the articles.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back