Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gradient or faded edge on video

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenl

Programmer
Aug 12, 2008
US
I'm brand new to Premier so I might have overlooked it or not searched on the correct terms...

I saw an effect on another video I'm trying to duplicate.

You'll see the guy talking is the background video and in the upper left, other videos are playing with a faded edge. I know about the feather edge effect and that's the basic idea, but the feather edge either leaves a noticeable hard edge or feathers in much too far. Also the video referenced looks like it's "cut" in the bottom right corner so the corner doesn't overlap the guy's shoulder.

I have video overlaying each other no problem, but I can't figure out how to fade the edges of the overlapping video similar to the one referenced...

Anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do that or where I might look to get info?

Thanks

That's just a mask, nenl. The top level of video is the speaker, and there's a mask cut around his side using the pen tool. Notice how when he pushes his head to his right, the mask moves a little to accommodate.

The layers beneath that are just additional layers of video and so forth.

In a nutshell, you take your video of your narrator, put it on the top level, grab the pen tool and dot-to-dot the viewing window next to him (be sure that your last click comes back to your first dot). You might have to reverse the mask. Then, slowly fiddle with the mask settings, such as feather, and move the individual points as you wish.

I just spent two nights doing this exact same thing.

What version of Premiere are you using?

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Thanks Edward! Worked like a charm and makes perfect sense. This is my third project ever, so I'm definitely a newbie...

Using Pro CS3 - thanks to a boss that has to have the latest greatest everything...

Glad it all worked out.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back