Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gradient opacity on an image 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimb

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
NZ
I have an image that I want to be 100% opacity at the top and gradually lighten to the bottom, which would be 0% opacity - if that makes sense.

Is it possible to do?

Thanks

Once again, it's masking time!

Make your image an editable layer, then add layer mask(bottom of layers palette).

Make sure you have the layer thumbnail selected in the palette(the one next to the image in the layers palette), and then use the gradient tool(linear setting), black and white gradient on the mask(Black=0% Opacity, White=100% opacity).

You should now have the image fading from 100% opacity to 0%.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

hi, to add to kimb's question, barehug's solution will make an image fade to white for that matter, what if the background is another image? how can i change the opacity from 100% to 0% gradually?
thanks,
tottie

tottie
hi, to add to kimb's question, barehug's solution will make an image fade to white for that matter, what if the background is another image? how can i change the opacity from 100% to 0% gradually?
thanks,
tottie

Hi Tottie,

applying a black and white gradient will not fade to white. the gradient is applied to the mask "black and white gradient on the mask(Black=0% Opacity, White=100% opacity)", not the image.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

hi barehug. i tried your masking instruction but i can't see the image under the faded image instead i can only see a white image but not the image under it. i must have missed something. thanks.
tottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back