Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grabbing DATA from remote SQL Server to Home Based SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGL72

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US
I have a web host I am going to terminate shortly. They host a database for me on a SQL server. At home I have SQL7 server running. Apparently they have left me a *.bak file that I am supposed to use to grab this data and store it locally here.

Is this the best way to do it? Can someone give me a point in the right direction as to how to import this *.bak file to my at home SQL machine?

Thank you.

IF it is a standard sql 7 backup file, you can just restore it on your server.

Right Click Databases folder
All Tasks->
Restore Database..

Having some trouble doing this. I copied the "backupfile.bak" to the machine running my sql server.

I go to the databases, click restore database, I choose FROM DEVICE" browse to find the .BAK file, get to where I want it to restore to the server and I get an error stating "the file can not be used with RESTORE, consider using WITH MOVE"

Since I am not that familiar with this interface, is there an easy way around this error?

Well I had the DB stored in the root of the directory instaed of where I wanted it to go originally and its fine now. Thanks for the help. Not sure why it didnt go where I told it to go originally but I did get it restore somewhere else and it works so thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back