Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO's do not affect all workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsowpd

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
JO
Windows 2000 server, 1 domain (set in Mixed mode),20 workstations (mix of 98,2000 and xp),static IP's.

Recently took over as Admin, I set up a default GPO on the Domain Controller. It works great for "almost"
all the computers. All the workstations are affected by the User Policy , 4 machines are "not" affected by
the machine policy, 2 xp and 2 win2000. This is not a complex network only two levels of users, Domain Users and Admin.
All machines have been setup by me. Two of which set in my office. One is affected by the GPO the other is not. I have been working on this for months with all the microsoft knowledge base help.

I am now trouble shooting on just one machine , I have a clean install of 2000 and I am not installing anything else till I trouble shoot this. The one consistent error I get in the event log is
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 5/21/2003
Time: 2:31:06 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TESTING
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1317).

This error occurs every time I run secedit to force updates of GPO, but I have the same errors on stations that are affected by the GPO, so i dont think it is relevant.??

Rattled and Confused.
Thanks in advance.

check out local group those computer have not apply domain GPO. Make sure network ID and domain name is correct.

thanks
Mudassir

I double checked the Domain Name, the network ID's I'm not so sure about. Are you talking about the IP scheme being valid, I am pretty sure they are valid because We run a short script that maps a few drives so I am sure that the IP's are ok.

Any thoughts,

Thanks for responding.

I usually find that if GPO's are not working it is due to a DNS problem. Have you checked the workstation DNS settings are correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back