Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO - Wallpaper implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

b5passat

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2002
US
We're in a Windows Server 2003 environment with mixed clients (2000, XP, and Vista). I need to implement a GPO for a standardized wallpaper which management has provided. About 10% of our users are mobile that are regularly disconnected from the network out working in the field.

My current status:

The standard wallpaper is referenced using a UNC path. I have the GPO turned on for just myself in the initial testing stage. It works just fine applying to my computer (Vista). I can however right click on an image and change it to an image through a browser (assume that I can through Image viewer as well). Yes. Active Desktop is enabled as per MS article: Of course the standard image will come back once GPO refreshes. Not sure if this is going to be an issue with management or not.

My test machine is a Dell laptop (XP SP2). I logged in, and the original background disappeared. Sit, wait, new image should appear, right? Wrong? Just a dark blue background. If I go in and change the display resolution, the GPO imposed wallpaper is displayed. Why don't I get the wallpaper without changing the resolution? It is fine after that. I changed the wallpaper to a random image, which isn't shown, strangely until I log off. When I log in, the standard image is back.

Simulating an external user, I disconnect the laptop from the network and power it up, I get the standard image immediately at login, but it then goes to the dark blue wallpaper. If I change resolutions, it doesn't come back as it did when connected. Of course GPO isn't going to apply since it is disconnected. However, it obviously found the file (I read that it caches the file locally when using a UNC) again when I log out, it blinks the standard wallpaper. Same result when I log in a second time when disconnected, no standard wallpaper. I checked the registry in the HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ and there are two values pointing to a BMP version of the wallpaper, which I looked at and verified them to be the standard wallpaper, local on the PC.

Is there just something really simple that I'm missing here? I've searched and searched on the subject, but it is a hard keyword combination to come up with.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back