Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO software installation shared folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
I had a W2K3R2 server that had a shared folder that was used for some software installations via GPO. This server has been decommissioned and the few installation files moved to a CIFS share on a NetApp SAN. But the installation doesn't work and I suspect it has something to do with permissions but can't work out why.

The W2K3R2 server had a share of \\server\software\ with share permissions of 'Everyone' having 'change' and 'read' permissions. NTFS permissions are server\users with 'read', 'read & execute' and 'list folder contents' permissions. SYSTEM and server\administrators have 'full control' permissions.

The CIFS share is \\cifs\software\ which has 'Everyone' having 'full control' permissions. NTFS permissions are 'Everyone' have 'read', 'read & execute' and 'list folder contents' permissions, SYSTEM and \\cifs\administrators having 'full control' and \\cifs\users have 'read', 'read & execute' and 'list folder contents' permissions.

Permissions look fine to me. Why won't it work for a GPO installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back