Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO scripts best policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

emozley

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a folder on a server where I keep all my software installs. So for Java for example I have the .exe and a little batch file which runs that .exe with various parameters.

If I want to set up a group policy to install Java on all machines when they are turned on should I put a shortcut to my batch file in the group policy startup folder on the AD server or should I put a copy of the actual batch file in the startup folder? What is best practice?

Thanks very much

Ed

Well it kind of depends on how you are calling your install from within batch file. If your batch file calls the install remotely (UNC path), then I would put it inside the group policy folder that way it gets replicated and more then likly not get accidentally deleted. Also need to make sure that the share is accessable to all the machines. Otherwise you can call it from where the install folder is. Centrally locating your script files is not a bad idea if it is something that you think you are going to modify often. I have seen it both ways if you centrally locate your scripts you just need to make sure everyone who is getting the script applied has permissions to the location.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back