Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO PROBLEM, going nuts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akramy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US
Allright, here is the scoop.

Fresh install of win2k, security groups and policies, etc.. all done. GLobal GPO to redirect all my documents to \\server\share/%username%. All fine and dandy.
Recently new users joined and creating the accounts for them, put them in appropriate OU's, etc... for some odd reason the new users folder redirection is not working. working with old but not new. I am all out of ideas.
Anybody can help, please do. I need to get those users set up and started ASAP.
Thanks alot for all your help.
+AkramY -akramy

check the obvious stuff - typos in the entry and permissions to the share and subfolders.

See first if the policy it is applied for those users.
Check the GPO, and see if your new users are members of a group that has (Read and Allow) rights to that policy. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Check, and Check,
The policy was created a while ago and it was working fine. The new users I just put them in OU and added them to security groups and they should have read and write to the folders and read and apply to the policy.
+Akram -akramy

Have you tried logging a new user on to a machine that you know is working for an exisiting account? Just trying to eliminate the desktop build...

All machines work on the network with the old users. I am going to try logging on the server itslef with the new users, do you think that will/may help???
+AkramY -akramy

I don't know much about GPO's at the moment, however when i was recently working on a project with similar problems it was discovered that the desktop PC's time was behind the server. this stopped the GPO's from working if the time is in front of the server its ok but behind....well it blew my mind too.

Just a thought for you. Took us all day to suss it out. using netmon on the servers the users logged onto to see if packets were going through ok and look in the event logs....this is where we found our answer. stupid really as we should have looked there to start with.

Here's a star for you Krystian. Always check log files first for security. If it's a connectivity problem, ipconfig /all. Start at the basics and go from there. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"He who doubts nothing, knows nothing."
Greek proverb.

Thank you Krystian, I will try that tomorrow, and let you know if it works!!!
+AkramY -akramy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back