Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO disable Hibernation/Standby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhscott

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
Does anyone know if there is a way to disable hibernation using group policy?
Also, is there a way to set the standby settings using group policy?
If it these can't be done with a GPO, is there another way to do this for all users on the network?
Thank you

Scott

Q1: There is no Group Policy object to disable Hibernation
Q2: Unfortunately, there is no standby Group Policy setting either.
Q3: I suspect this could be done, but it is decidedly non-trivial. It is oddly much harder than you suspect. You will get a feel from reading this discussion:
Use the sysinternals tool regmon:
Manually configure a workstation using the Control Panel, Power Options GUI interface.

Export using regedit the keys.

You can then use the ability to silently import a registry change from a file with regedit /s.

My guess is that it could be done, if all the workstations were essentially identical. If it is an odd mix of workstations, I would not attempt it personally.

it would be easy to disable hybernation by just going to your power options and unslecting the hybernation box. as for shut down I do not know a good way to disable that.

Thanks bcastner, sounds like more of a pain than it's worth. I was hoping for a simple GPO, but obviously MS is sleeping on the job again :)
Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back