Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO Computer Policy Wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOCSIT

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
US
HI Everyone, this is driving me nuts...

I have a Windows 2003 Std Server. I have XP Pro CLients. I have group policy set up for users and computer. My computer policy will NOT RUN. I have an OU that I dump all the computer accounts into to map network printing with a login script (worked fine on 2000 using rundll). Now It will not run thru the GPO. All user GPO's are working. When I do a GPRESULT from the client it states that my Computer Policy RAN even though nothing Happens.

Help!!

Thanks

Login scripts need to be configured in User Settings for a GPO, not Computer Settings. You can't establish drive mappings or printer mappings before a user session logs on.

For some help with using vbscript for login scripts, please visit my FAQ. faq329-5798

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your reply

I used the wrong word. Im using Startup Scripts not login. My appologies.

I would repeat that those settings can only be configured via a login script, not a startup script. Those settings are USER based.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your reply's.

Is this new to 2003 Server because it worked for me in 2000 Server.

This is what i did in a classroom environment that was split into 2 sides.

OU = Side1 (in this ou I place all computers on side 1 to the nearest printer for side 1)

OU = Side2 (in this ou I place all computers on side 2 to the nearest printer for side 2)

I then use group policy and assign in COMPUTER CONFIGURATION/Windows Settings/Startup Script using a batch file and the rundll command to map the network printer with no user intervention.

This worked great for 2000 and 2000 server. When the computer was started up the printer would map before any user logged in (I could see it run). Then no matter which user logged into the system they would have the the nearby printer installed and set to default. Now in 2003 it does not run correctly giving me the error of (Printer operation could not be completed)

I am now trying to use the vbs script you posted for network printing but can not get it to work as of now.

Thanks,

Have you alredy installed the drivers for the printer on those machines? If you are just mapping the printer I don't believe it will copy the driver files over.

You might want to take a look at this link:

Regarding my script, what errors are you receiving? Have you shared your printer on the network and do your users have access to it?

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for you help,

I downloaded the latest drivers from HP and installed it on all machines. I changed my script and have 1 printer mapping but not like I want it too. I am using

rundll32.printui.dll,OrintUIEntry /ga /c \\server\shareprinter

This worked on 2000 Server

rundll32.printui.dll,OrintUIEntry /in /c \\server\shareprinter

I think my problems are related to DNS. When doing a net diag /test:DNS I get an error that states:

DNS : Test Passed
(Warning, Can not find a primary authoritive DNS server for the name myserver.domain.com)

My server is a primary integrated DNS windows 2003 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back