Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP Multiuser Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert04

MIS
Jan 20, 2004
US
Hi folks,

Is there a way that you can disable the modification capabilities in GP? Here's the deal: I'd like to have all of our GP users use a shared, read-only copy of the DIC and VBA files, and also disable the ability for them to get into the VBA editor or Modifier.

I've done some tests using a read-only version of the DIC and VBA files, and every time I exit GP, it tries to update the VBA file (even though I didn't make any changes), says that the file is read-only, and wants me to save a new copy.

I just haven't found a very efficient way to have everyone use the same base code, where I can control how and when it gets updated. Currently, we have to distribute copies of every change to every desktop. It's a maintenance nightmare.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What type of environment are you in, Citrix,stanalone..etc. Also, advanced security can block them from having access to the tools in Great Plains. What vewrsion of Great Plains.

We are on version 6, and are running standalone copies of GP against a Pervasive SQL database.

Now I see why you need to lock it down. Advanced security is not available for 6.0 and I am not to familiar with the security within Great Plains. I would recommend networking so you can point all of the dics to one central machine, so when anyone updates the dics it will effect all. Other than that I wouldn't know what to do yet.

Right, that's what I'm intending to do - point all the machines to a shared directory where the dic and vba files are located. The problem is that when GP exits, it updates the DIC and VBA files for some reason. So everyone would be updating this shared copy of the files. If I make the files read-only, then GP complains and wants to have a different location to save a read/write version of the files. I figured if I could turn off the modification ability for the users, then GP wouldn't update the files each time you exited it.

This might help: Under security in Great Plains select the USerid,CompanyProduct (Great Palins);Type:Customization Tools,Series:Customization Tools and unmark all. I am going from memory for Version 6.0 so this might be a little off. But it should get you to where you need to be.

Read-only files will cause you problems, use the Security options mentioned by klewis.

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
Asia Pacific Professional Services

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@nospam-microsoft.com

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.

The best solution is Citrix MetaFrame and Active Directory. Citrix MetaFrame comes with NFuse which is a web-based application portal used to publish your apps and uses the credentials created in Active Directory. Now, you don't have to distribute copies of files to every desktop because their roaming profiles will have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back