Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 9.0 Upgrade - VBA Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2006
US
Good evening,

After finishing the GP 9.0 upgrade none of our form modifications (labels, text boxes, columns) are on the new forms. I assume the underlying code wasn't included either.

I looked in the new GP 9.0 directory and no VBA files (PA253.vba, FAM.vba, etc.) or forms dictionary files were created (PAFORM.dic, F309.dic, etc.). After a search of the hard drive for the files, they only exist in the 8.0 directory.

Am i missing a step to include our form and code modifications in the 9.0 environment? I went through the 'Update Modified Forms and Reports' utility but that tool doesn't accomplish (or doesn't appear to accomplish) including our other modifications.

I tried moving the 8.0 vba files and forms dictionaries to the 9.0 directory but received errors that the forms need to be upgraded using the 'Update Modified Forms...' utitlity. Also, did i correctly see that the 9.0 Project Accounting forms dictionary is named 'PAFROM.DIC' instead of 'PAFORM.DIC?'

Enough babbling. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Modified forms and reports are always a sore point when an upgrade is done.

I would suggest you export the forms and reports before upgrading. I don't remember if it was available in prior verisons but in version 8 you can use Customization Maintenance to export modified forms and reports to a Package file. Then after the upgrade you would import the package file into version 9.

If you've got a test machine with version 8 I would suggest using this option.

You can also import from one Reports dictionary to another. For example you can use Tools --> Customize --> Report Writer to open the new Reports.dic (which would not have any of your modified reports). Then use the import button to import the reports from the old dictionary to the new one.

I've only ever tried this with Reports.dic though so be careful and do a full backup before going ahead.

You may still need to check your modifications after the
import as field names, tables etc. may have been added/and or changed.

If the modifications did not come across automatically, try exporting the packages from Customisation Maintainance from your old system and importing them into the new system.

Also make sure that security is changed to point to modified windows as needed.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back