Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 9.0 to 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehojr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2005
US
I am just interested in hearing about experince upgrading gp 9.0 to 10.0.. no customizations involved on our end..safest way , user training required, use a var?

You should be able to handle the upgrade internally without getting a VAR to do the work. I would highly recommend doing a test upgrade first to see if you run into any issues with the upgrade itself. The only issues I run into is older, unused third party tables causing errors and having to more things from the set files etc to get things upgraded properly.

Download the huge and very confusing upgrade checklist and once you can decifer it, try it on a stand alone workstation with SQL installed and upgrade it there. If all good, backup and try it on the live server.

We've done the upgrade - it wasn't as difficult as the migration from 7.5 to 9 - though we had 3rd party customizations.

We did it all without the var for the 9 to 10 upgrade, though we had to get them involved with the 7.5 to 9. For the 7.5 to 9 we never made it through the test upgrade phase, and that is why we needed the var. I learned a few things from that upgrade and was able to apply it to the 9 to 10 upgrade we did.

The key as Luvsql said is to do a test upgrade first (and that is where our first upgrade failed). This involves completely copying the database - users and all, and running an upgrade on the copy of the database. The trickiest part there is to copy the users. There is a special script out there that can help you with that.

Another thing you'll run into is security permissions. GP 10 handles permissions differently than older versions of GP. Previous everyone was allowed access to everything by default, and you had to restrict their permissions to what you didn't want them to access. Now it is reversed. Users are denied access to everything until you grant it to them. I don't remember the results of the permissions upgrade too much (it was a while ago), but I believe the upgrade assigned the permissions per user to what they had previously. I do remember reworking the permissions for EVERYONE to properly use the Task/Role system they have setup for GP 10. I do like it better as now when creating a new user, it is very easy to see and add the appropriate permissions to them.

Having no customizations will definitely help. As far as user training - most everything is the same from 9 to 10. From Windows/Reports and how you access them - it's all pretty much the same (from what I remember of GP9). There is just some ADDED features that utilize the Navigation Pane, and home page areas. We didn't really do any training ourselves - but once you do the test upgrade, check it out yourself, and get a few users to try it too before upgrading the live server. This will allow you to see if users will actually NEED any training. Regardless here what you decide you need to find what works for you and your users - if that means training from the VAR then do that.

I hope that information is helpful to you. Good luck with the upgrade.

Hi Borvik. When you say the trickiest part is to copy the users, are you referring to the Test server?

I'll post a new thread so as not to hijack this one!

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back