Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 7.5 slows to a crawl on certain functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tperachio

MIS
Mar 15, 2002
US
We have GP 7.5 running on a windows 2003 server w/ SQL 2000 sp4, we have another server that use to be a DC running windows 2000 server, this server (old DC) here is not used for anything, but when we shut it down GP which runs on a completely different server seems to run extremely slow when trying to print or log into GP or switch databases within GP as soon as we turn on the old server then GP is ok, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Based on what you're describing, I would think that something that is used (or at least referenced) by GP is looking for the old server.

There are a lot of things to check, but without knowing the details of your GP install or network, I would start with the Dex.ini files on the computers running the GP application to see if anything in them is referencing the old server.

Is the slow performance on every computer running GP? Do you have the GP application installed on the SQL server? Is it slow there as well? Are there any errors in the Windows logs on the computers where GP is slow? Is GP the only place where you see the slow performance when shutting down the other server? No other applications are affected? Browsing the network and copying files across the network is fine? Any 3rd party products or customizations?

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2011
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Victoria, these are great questions, there are a lot of things that were set in place before I arrived here, i will try to answer some of your questions.
1. the slow perforamce is not on all computers, but on quite a bit of them.
2. GP application is installed on the sql server but it is not really used from there.
3. No errors in the windows logs, though we do have KDC errors on our domain controllers with an event id 11, source KDC, the error message states (There are multiple accounts with name MSSQLSvc/hqsql01.domain.com:1433 of type DS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL_NAME, not sure if this is related to the problem.
4. GP is the only place were there is a slow down, all other apps run ok, browsing the network and all others functions within our network is ok.

i checked a meachine that was experiencing the problem and i don't see a difference, i see no reference to the old server name

Well...that would have been an easy fix...sorry. Unfortunately, usually in situations like this you have to do a lot of searching and testing to see what the issue is, as there are so many possible causes.

I would suggest posting the error in your post above on a SQL Server or Windows forum to see if anyone can give you an idea of what that means. In case it is relevant.

I would also see if you can determine what the differences are between the computers that do not experience the slowdown. Maybe do some testing like logging in with different Windows users and GP users to see if you can find a pattern?

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2011
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back