Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 10 - really slow for 1 user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borvik

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
As the title states, we have 1 user that is generally really slow in GP. It's not limited to Login, or opening a Window, but also doing searches, selecting line items - basically anywhere it accesses data. Sometimes it is better than others, but it is usually pretty slow.

This user just received a computer upgrade. A brand new machine running Windows 7 64bit w/ 8 GB RAM and a Intel i5 processor.

The network is just fine as it connects to our server and has a normal data transfer rate.

Other applications I have written (report applications using VS2008) connect just fine to the GP database and pull reports at their normal speeds.

It appears that GP itself on this machine is the only thing having issues with speed.

I have already copied an identical installation from another working Win7 64bit machine over top this slow one, with no results.

Later I plan to uninstall, delete directories, and reinstall - trying to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 installation at the same time.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be slow.

I have some more information - you never get the full story from the user until the 3rd or 4th retelling...

It now appears most of GP is fine. It is just slow on windows I have developed plugins on. So it would seem to have something to do with my 3rd party plugins that I wrote.

I have built some of these with VS2008 so, it could still be an issue with the Framework, but it now narrows down my search parameters.

I've attempted to fix the Framework - it appears version 2.0 is part of the Windows 7 core features, and can't be removed or reinstalled. I've run sfc /scannow with no results either.

I have removed the AddIn from the directory, and have confirmed it IS the Visual Studio Tools for Dynamics GP application plugin that I've written that is causing the slowdown. Yet this is the ONLY machine to do this (I have tried other user profile with the same results), and we do have other Win7 64 bit machines using this plugin.

SOLVED!!!

I had been using some Registry code to help get database connections (we aren't using gpconnnet) by scanning for the DSN.

I upgraded that bit of the code, so it wasn't accessing the registry and everything is working fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back