Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

got vpn to work, how do i browse [see] other machines in the lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
just got vpn to work;
i connect over the internet with a dialup modem to another machine which uses win2000 proffessional with adsl connection and a static ip address [connected to a small network of win2000 machines].

following the successful connection, i would like to know how i could browse the other machines, they all have file-sharing enabled. when i look in my network neighourhood, all i see is my own machine. i hope this is not all vpn can do....

any help here would be great.

Is this a win2k to win2k connection? Is there a firewall somewhere between the vpn?

Use the UNC path, from the Run command, \\servername\share Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

You might need to use a Wins server if you are not using Netbeui as a protocal when you are connecting into the VPN server.

You might want ot consider using an LMHOSTS file and put entries in for those machines which you would like to access.
Also make sure your settings use NETBEUI over TCP/IP if you have NETBEUI installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back