Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got Sharpie marker on my LCD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubieb

Technical User
Jul 2, 2006
I got a line of Sharpie red on my LCD screen? It wasnt one of those thick markers, just a pen styled one, but still very noticable!

Anyone know what will take this off without ruining the monitor? I tried some "monitor spray" (rubbing alcohol) and it did nothing.

Much appreciated!

Hubes

I use a mix of 50:50 of 91% or higher rubbing alcohol to distilled water. This removes most everything I have come across. It usually works better then most monitor sprays and wipes I have tried. Don't be afraid of a bit of elbow grease, but be sure to turn off the monitor first. Just keep in mind the delicate nature of an LCD, and that will usually result in more rubbing with less pressure.

Most rubbing alcohol is 70% and it does make a difference with the higher percentage.

The Swiss look down on the Austrians, who don't think very highly of the Swiss. Swiss joke (one of many)

Why don't they let Austrians use computers?

??????

Because it's so hard to get the Whiteout off the monitor.

And by gosh...

You might also gently, gently try a little goo be gone with a q tip on a corner or call the manufacturer for their input.

There is a marker-remover sold at office depot or office max called Mark-Off, meant to remove markers. I am an old-school graphics designer and use markers everyday, both permanent and water based (my hands look like a rainbow after a quick presentation). I use a citrus-based cleaner for the most stubborn stains on my plastic tabletop, it will not harm the film if it is properly diluted.

I also know that Sharpies are not true permanent markers, especially the red will fade quickly in sunlight. I am optimistic it will come off, you just need to find the right solvent.

If i remember tomorrow I will post the brand. Avoid calling attention to it by rubbing too hard and scratching the film!!! More liquid, less pressure.

The product is called Magic Mark-Off but there is no mention of the maker on the bottle nor the product on the Web. I guess I've had it for years...

Its active ingredients are "2-Butoxy Ethanol and Alkaline Materials"...sorry for the dead end.

Tony

Looks exactly like my Magic Mark-off bottle...beside the mfr's name....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back