Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

got problems with a quantum couple

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenixTx40

Technical User
May 23, 2002
US
I know, i'm talking about a little bit old hard drives, but that's what i got... a little time ago, i got a quantum fireball ex3.2a hard drive. 3.0gb ..well, that was nice, fast, and quiet hard drive... i was very very happy... suddenly i got a samsung hd, that was nice too.. 6.4gb more... nothing bad i though.. then a friend of mine sold me an old quantum se4.3a hd.. about 4.1 gb.... well.... here's my problem: i have to connect that hard drives (personal reasons) on my first bus (first ide channel) and the samsung & cd-rom on the second channel..... the issue is that when you connect both quantum hard drives... the bios takes a long while to "test" the hard drives (you know, it autodetects... then makes a little test, it moves the heads and so on)... i have to wait about 10 sec... then ... before the boot... the master hard drive(my 3.0gb)) reads the boot sector..... then there's a pause of about 15-20 sec... and then everything's fine..... my hard drives works as they should.. and no speed issue.....everything's in those two moments.... where i have to wait... & wait & wait... but if i just leave one of both hard drives connected they boot as they should...fast! no waiting time..... i don't know what's happening...but they should work together... they are from the same brand........
well. hope somebody can help me.
my first quantum hd. ex3.2a it's drive letter c:
the second hd se.4.2a it's drive letter d: & f:
and mi samsung hard drive (master on the second ide channel it's drive letter E:
all file systems are FAT32
i'm running win98se english language...

You might try the autodetect test in your BIOS, document the chs values and enter them into user mode and see if that makes any difference. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks EdFair, but i've tried, and all is the same thing.... the only difference is that now i don't see the "primary master... quantum fireball ex3.2a" auto-detect msgs..... obvioulsvy because they're not autodetecting, just using chs. but the issue is the small "test" that BIOS makes to the hard drives at startup......

Do you have the documentation on the drives? Early on , there was an additional jumper that flagged the controller that there was a slave present.
Don't know if that is an issue.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back