Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got our Cisco 1841 Routers today 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoGuy33

Instructor
Oct 25, 2004
US
YEA!!!!!

I got 12 1841 Routers and 12 2960 switches today !!!!!!

Will be setting up 4 pods of 3 each for the Cisco Network Academy.

Only thing - the Cisco 1841 FLASH is an external card that pops in and out as easy as ................. and is about the size of 2 postage stamps - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa CISCO - why would you suggest these for a SCHOOL ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

My question now is do I leave them in and hope they don't "walk away" or pass them out for the class - only 32mg so not good for much else but they have the Cisco logo on them and I know some will take anything not nailed down.

Kind of sucks :-( But I am happy I have some cool new toys to play with. And the guy dropping off the routers from central recieving said OIT just got $500,000 worth of Cisco VoIP stuff - college is going Cisco VoIP - Cool !!!!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Nice. I will say this about the compact flash cards, it does make IOS upgrades easy since you can just put them in a card reader and copy the file over.

And if you get really creative, a copy of a raw config to just do a copy flash:test.txt running

This is where exploding ink comes in handy. It'd be just like in bank heists where the robbers money get blowed up and covered with nasty ink. Imagine their embarassment when they get covered with bright yellow or pink ink when they try and walk out the door...imagine the lawsuits...meh, it'd be worth it :-D

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

unclerico,

I like that idea hmmmmmmmmmmm I will have to run it by the lawyers at the college. They let me have my cattle prod :)

E.A. Broda

I noticed that, too, on my last 1800 AND my last 2800. Since our server room is physically secure (somewhat, I know things can always happen) it's not an issue here. I don't see a way to lock them down - yet. Good luck. We have students here, too, and if anything can be broken or stolen, it will be.

iolair,

"and if anything can be broken or stolen, it will be."

I talked to my supervisor, I think we will put the FLASH in anti-static bags and have the students check them out by leaving a drivers lic. when they want to use the lab. One lab/classroom is out-of-site of the office.

Instructor will need to sign them out and bring them back when class is over - then it will be his responsibility.

I know I will still need to find replacements or low cost after markets that we will not have to worry wityh as much - if that is possible. How much is a 32mg to 128mg (non-Cisco) compact Flash card? I will need to research!!!!

E.A. Broda

I'll send you a couple of contacts I have for memory.

lerdalt and others,

Just a general question, I found Sandisk 32mg Compact Flash for $10 each (online in a quick search at "The Memory Suppliers" no idea if they are good or bad yet), can I use these with Cisco 1841 routers?

Do they need to be formatted a certain way?

Is Compact Flash, Compact Flash?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

E.A. Broda

Gene,
Gratz! Those cards should work fine! I would assume that it is a regular Type 1 CF! For $10 you could let us know! LoL

As far as protecting your cards try this..
ACS-CF-GUARD

Hope that helps! Wish I could get on more but have been REALLY busy working with other geeky stuff! LoL Later!

B Haines
CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

THANKS for the link, I just asked for a quote, they don't have prices online :-(

As for the $10 FLASH, I will get 1 and try it, I also got some contacts from lerdalt but they are more for "replacement" FLASH because the quotes they sent were like $50 so my question is what is the difference between:
1) Cisco CF 32 mgs - $200
2) Quote CF 32 mgs - $ 50
3) Sandisk CF 32mg - $ 10

Is Compact FLASH Compact FLASH ???????????????????????????

E.A. Broda

This sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

No---it is NOT. Third party vendors try and pretend, but GET GENUINE CISCO!!!

I have some PCMCIA cards with Compax VAX storage VMS code (OS) on them, and are not recognized in anything BUT the HSC-40.

/

Burt,

I got the Sandisk Compact FLASH - 32 mg for less than $9 each from an online source - another vender that Todd gave me had 3rd party for about $20 and said for non-production routers it would not matter.

What I have found - I copied the Cisco FLASH to my computer, (did not look for hidden files) I then copied the contents to the Sandisk CF's - booted the router with the Sandisk and 99.9% was fine - booted fine but got one error about an error log written to FLASH. Router runs fine and does not seem to have any issues. When I do a "show flash" or "show flash:" it does not see the FLASH but it did load the IOS from FLASH???

For production routers in a production system - LIKE BURT SAID - GET/USE Cisco !!!!! For school where they might "walk away" I see no reason so far not to use the Sandisk.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda

You might have to actually format the flash from the router too...would be worth it in case there is some little flaw with the format from another source.

You would probably be better to format with the router as lerdalt said, then use a linux machine to actually copy the files over since Windows has this issue with doing what it wants with the media... Just a thought

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

And a great thought indeed...

DITCH the D0z3 BOX!!!

/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor