Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

got hacked, need help w/ exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubee

Technical User
Nov 14, 2000
US
oh yeah, fun fun fun,

i got hacked, now I need help w/ exe files in the Windows directories.
yeah, the %(^$()^_$*%# went and $()(*)($^$#*%@ up a bunch of my exe files and it's causing @*%()^$^$@)(^__&(^&%#^0

I've already re-installed win98 and it did restore a lot of these exe files but theres 80 some files that didn't get restored - they're still showing the same date of modification of the attack.

I guess I'm looking for an (easier) one-stop place to get the copies of the ones I've left to restore.
i use to think through out,
now i think and i think,
"i thought a thought."

Would you care to rephrase that? What exactly is the problem with the files? Do they produce an error when trying to run them or what?

Have you run a virus scan? If not here's a scanner:

Until you clarify the problem i'm going to make a guess here and say that you're getting an error when trying to run some programs. It could be due to a trojan like sub7 that changed a certain registry key(s). If you have windows 95, 98, or ME download exefix08.com from here and run it. It reverses the .exe registry change that a trojan may have made. Then see if you can run those programs. If yes then you have a trojan so you need to run a trojan and virus scan.

The Cleaner is a trojan scanner that's free to try. Download and run it:

virus?
yeah, probably should've thought about virus, but for other reasons i determined hacked -- so, i went to pcpitstop.com/ -- it found i have "W95/Spaces.1445 Virus"

then went to mcafee.com/ for removal instructions, going to try before dwnld'g any antivirus progs -- only because I really got fused over the size mcaffee grew to at another organization's computer i was on + the amount of take-over of the systems' operations,, I don't like that kinda stuff,, i use to think through out,
now i think and i think,
"i thought a thought."

well, let's see if I'm getting through,,
I just got half of my system re-installed and am back online,,
hope i got rid of the crap, the whole crap and all of the crap it was about,,
:) i use to think through out,
now i think and i think,
"i thought a thought."

Your best bet is to try running windoctor if you have Norton. If you don't, try running Scandisk from:
Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scandisk.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back