Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got a LsysRouter AND a LsysWirelessRouter.. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpbx

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
Here is what I have...

Linksys Broadband Router
Linksys WIRELESS Broadband Router
3COM 8 Port Hub
Cable Modem with Internet Activated.

Is it possible to hook all this together? And would it be correct or do I need to use a different device other than a HUB for additional connections? So, that means all WIRED ports on the Wired Router,Wireless Router, and hub need to work. Is it possible since both are "routers?" What steps should I take?

With a hub, will I be able to get seperate inside addresses per machine per port? I heard something about hub ports sharing the connection.. uh???

Right now I have the Cable modem attatched to the Wireless Router. I tried to hook up both routers together, but i would have internet for 10 seconds, then it would stop... my guess is it had something to do with configuring ONE router and turning the other router setup off?? I dunno.., could use some help!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

xpbx

ALSO... If all of these WILL be able to work together,how do I add each PC to the HUB? Do ALL PCs have to be OFF or ON... I get confused with this, something about the addresses and such... Cuz we are talking about over 10 connections... for me that's INSANE... but with your help it will get done faster. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

You didn't post specific model numbers, so this is a bit general. The most popular Linksys wired routers have a 4-port switch built in. One option is to set up the wireless router to NOT do any routing, but to just act as a wireless access point (AP). At least I think the Linksys ones will do this -- every other brand does.

Remember if you're plugging a switch into a switch you may need a crossover cable (even if one of the switches is built into a router). If there's an uplink port then crossover will probably not be needed.

Run DHCP one ONE router to automatically assign IP addresses to your computers. Only thing that needs to be left on is the cable modem, routers, and switches. Computers will work indpendently of each other.

HTH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back