Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

googleadservices bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmerlinn

Programmer
May 20, 2005
US
How do I block or remove "partners.googleadservices.com" from webpages that I am viewing? Is it possible to block them from downloading anything onto my computer?

Any page that contains a link to that site FREEZES my computer forever with 100% CPU usage. I even tested it once. 48 hours later and the computer was still frozen. The only way to unfreeze the computer is to close the offending page. Back does not work. Reload does not work. I cannot even load a different page from a different site even in a new window when google junk freezes the computer. Only closing the page with the google junk on it works. Sometimes the ONLY way is to do a hard reboot to unfreeze the computer.

Even some Tech-Tip pages have this google junk on them. When that happens, I must close TT, or sometimes hard reboot the computer in order to continue browsing the web.

Anyone have a clue how to prevent this? Like maybe a hook in Firefox that can be set to block certain domains from downloading to my computer?

This happens on all of my Windows and Mac computers.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

From exterminate-it.com

Detect / Delete GOOGLEADSERVICES.COM Cookie^

You can detect the presence of the googleadservices.com cookie in your system using the Exterminate It! Antimalware. This way, the detection and removal will be performed automatically.

Alternatively, you can manually perform the following steps, depending on the browser you are using:
To detect / delete googleadservices.com cookie in Internet Explorer

Click the Tools [Internet Explorer Tools Menu Button] menu item and choose Internet Options
Under Browsing History, click Settings
Click View Objects or View Files
Check if for the googleadservices.com cookie is present on the list

You can identify the googleadservices.com cookie files by checking the file names beneath the Name or Internet Address column. The files will contain the Cookie: googleadservices.com element.
To delete the googleadservices.com cookie:
Select it from the list
Choose Delete from the File menu

To detect / delete googleadservices.com cookie in Mozilla Firefox

From the Tools menu, select Options
In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy
In the Cookies tab, click Show Cookies or remove individual cookies link
In the Cookies window, enter googleadservices.com in the Search field and run a search, or you can scroll down the list to check whether the googleadservices.com cookie is present there
Select it from the list
Press Remove Cookie button

To detect / delete googleadservices.com cookie in Google Chrome

From the Chrome menu [Google Chrome Menu Button] on the browser toolbar choose Settings
Click Show Advanced Settings... link
In the Privacy section, click Content settings
Click All cookies and site data... button
Start typing googleadservices.com cookie name in the Search cookies field and cookie list will be automatically filtered, or you can scroll down the list to check whether the cookie exists
Hover the mouse cursor over cookie name in the list to highlight it
Click X button that appears on the right corner

Permanent Blocking of GOOGLEADSERVICES.COM Cookie on Your PC^

Below, you will find instructions on how to block the googleadservices.com cookie permanently in the Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Note: The blocking of the googleadservices.com cookie may result in the googleadservices.com website working in your browser incorrectly or not working at all.

To block googleadservices.com cookie in Internet Explorer

From the Internet Explorer Tools menu [Internet Explorer Tools Menu Button] , select Internet Options
Select the Privacy tab, and then click Sites. The Per site privacy actions window will be displayed
In the Per site privacy actions window, enter googleadservices.com in the Address of Web site field
Click Block

To block googleadservices.com cookie in Mozilla Firefox

From the Tools menu, select Options
In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy
In the History group choose Use custom settings for history item from the Firefox will field and Click on Exceptions
For older Firefox versions in the Cookies tab, click Exceptions
In the new Exceptions - Cookies window, enter googleadservices.com in the Address of Website field and click Block or Disable

To block googleadservices.com cookie in Google Chrome

From the Chrome menu [Google Chrome Menu Button] , on the browser toolbar, choose Settings
Click Show Advanced Settings... link
In the Privacy section, click the Content settings
Click Manage Exceptions... button
Enter googleadservices.com in the Hostname pattern (located at the left corner)
Choose Block from the Behavior field (on the right)

How do I block or remove "partners.googleadservices.com" from webpages that I am viewing? Is it possible to block them from downloading anything onto my computer?

Just install AdBlockPlus and Google Ads don't install anything.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

rclarke50

Thanks for the information. However, I did that before posting my question here and just to make sure I followed all the steps again per your instructions. NOTHING CHANGED!

ChrisHurst

I have not installed AdBlockPlus so don't know if that will work or not. I was hoping there would be a simple way to stop the google garbage. One of the reasons that I did not install it is because at least one of the sites I patronize claims that their site will not work properly if AdBlockPlus is installed. They claim that AdBlockPlus does more than block ads, therefore causing problems on their site.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

I have even modified the "hosts" file to exclude anything from that domain, AND MY PAGES ARE STILL LOCKED UP waiting for "partner.googleadservices.com"!!!

Does ANYONE have any clue how I can disable that domain?

mmerlinn

I use MVPS's HOSTS file. It is a free download from:

His HOSTS file has nine (9) different Google blocks. One of the blocks has 82 distinct domains. In another block, he's got 4 different googleadservices.com domains. My version is 2013 and so far I've not had to update just yet.

You should consider (at least) trying his file out.

After pondering the riddle (for many years I might add) I finally got the answer (inadvertently through a movie): "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back