Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google sponsored links

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeboycymru

Programmer
Jan 23, 2007
GB
Hi all,

A client just had a moan at me at how a competitor in google sits above him in the listings, because he occupies top spot through the sponsored links.

I know about the sponsored links down the right, but how does his competitor get the very top spot as a sponsored links?

Does he pay more to be there rather than on the right?

Can you also give me a few tips about sponsored links, as this will be the first a client has asked me about it.

Lee

Take some time to read the other questions and subsequent replies in this forum. You might want to direct your client here as well.

Google will sell you sponsored links in both the top and the right. The client's competitor obviously has chosen sponsored links at the top of the page. It's as simple as that.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Cheers Jeff, sorry to waste your time on that one...

I shouldnt have been so hasty, and looked around first.

cheers

Lee

Not quite correct.

The sponsored links at the top and right are the same set of Adwords ads.

Sometimes Google will take the top 1, 2 or 3 bids for a given search term and position them at the top with the remainder down the right.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Correct Foamy,

I don't beleive it's just based on 'top bids' though, reading through the Google documentation, if I recall correctly.

They place the best 'performing' adds at the top.

so those that generate the highest CTR I would assume, just coz I pay a large amount for a keyword/click, doesn't mean people click my adds or my add is very good.

Google say they reward, successful and targeted adds by giving them the top section. Based on relevancy, to my mind the only way you can judge this is CTR.

(But i'm sure money comes into it some where, we are talking Google after all!)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Right I see, thanks guys...

So a well worded advert that is popular will sometimes occupy that 'special' spot.

Will also being involved in sponsored adverts, help your listings in google? as in they give you brownie points and so help you up the ladder.

Google AdWords do not effect 'Generic' listing, according to Google.

How true that is who knows, but the Generic vs Paid Adverts are suppose to be completely independent from each other.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

I'm pretty sure that Adwords ads don't directly contribute to your organic results.

It wouldn't make sense - Google would be cutting their own throats. Imagine if you were paying for an ad and it caused your site to be the top organic listing. Personally, I'd then stop paying for the ad since there would be no need for it.

However, what the ad CAN do is lead people to your site and these people may then link to your page which is of benefit.

I also wonder about the Google Toolbar. If this is sending back info on which sites people are visiting/bookmarking then surely it would make sense for that info to somehow be factored into the SERPS. In which case, do they filter visits that tracked by the toolbar but arise from Adwords clicks?

Lots to think about!

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

And who says Big Brother isn't watching you oh yes he is and his name is GoogleBro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back