Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google rankings have dramatically dropped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartiums

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
GB
Please help!!!!

My site used to be in the top 10 results on Google for search phrases such as 'birthday gift baskets', 'easter gift baskets', 'sympathy baskets' etc as I have dedicated pages for these search phrases and optimised my pages accordingly, in the last month google has dropped my site to about 500 in the results - which is no good to me. I have many links to my site - I can't understand what has happened - any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Tina

you can't do much about it right now. There has been a major update at Google that has wiped out many sites. When it has settled then start looking what to change.
Google, as always have started with the "knob" turned full up and will probably be tweaking it down over the next few weeks.

One thing I would seriously be looking at is the linkshare/linksynergy scheme. Many sites involved in these type of linking schemes have been hit in this current update which seems to be aimed at link farms and some of the more dubious link schemes.
Also many of these use a 302 redirect for the hit tracking and are causing serious issues with accidental "hijacking" when they are set up in a certain way.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi Chris

I can tell from how many replies you have made that you know your stuff. Thanks for the response - Like I say, it's only happpened in the last few weeks and it seems like a lot of people have been affected like me.

The annoying think is that I don't think I can change the linkshare links. I sell products on behalf of these companies therefore, the when someone clicks on the product links on my site - it goes directly to my suppliers ordering system - and I get a commission - can you think of another way.

Have a good day

Tina

the update happened in late Jan and the effects became really apparent the 1st week in Feb.

Few possibles on the links, it's really becoming a big problem with all affiliate sites and tracking redirects. without some coding to do some insite "jumping" then redirect to the parent it would be down to linkshare to correct it at their end.

Best thing right now is to persevere for a couple of weeks until the update settles a bit.

Your site does fall into the "trying too hard" category with the long list of sort of unrelated keyphrases on the pages. Affiliate sites need to be more creative now to get any decent traffic and rankings. Low content/duplicate content affiliates are slowly getting squeezed out of the SERPs. Just one check on one product turned up 1500 other pages using exactly the same copy.
I would suggest first off is to put some work into your copy on the best selling products.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back