Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google Chrome SSL Error "too many redirect loops"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoo

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
We have a website that accesses a payment gateway. It has worked fine for over a year. Recently, Google Chrome users have reported an error. In doing some research here is what we found:

Google Chrome is handing SSL requests in a way that is causing an error of "too many redirect loops" to appear when going to some SSL related sites. Google Chrome's use of SSL is not industry standard (the way IE/Firefox uses it)

Code:
Because of this, Websense is not able to route the SSL traffic correctly.

There is no current fix . We will be monitoring the issue with Websense.

The workaround until that can be done is the following:

- First ...snip - not related to chrome...

- Second ensure if Chrome is being used that it is on the latest version. (different versions produce varying results on what sites do and do not give a loop message)

We have found a work around by starting Chrome with the following parameters.

Code:
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe /use-system-ssl
or
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" /use-system-ssl

This is not a good option. Has anyone experience this problem or know of a solution.

Is itpossible to pass these parameters along with our URL if it is Chrome so the user doesn't have to create this goofy shortcut, or use a different browser.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

I guess that you should pass a report of the issue to the Chrome developers - otherwise they will not be able to investigate or comment on it, let alone fix it. I think the support forum should be a first step:

I have an issue with Chrome I am just about to report - when I need to adjust my router settings via the Netgear's web interface, Chrome often reverts to which has an annoying popup screen, whereas three other popular browsers behave as expected, and start with the router login screen.

At the speed of development of modern browsers, it is always likely that some bug will be introduced which will affect a small number of users every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back