Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goofy USB issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

axslinger

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2000
US
Greetings,

I have a system with a Gigabyte GA6BXC M/B, P-III 500 and 128 MB RAM and Win98SE. The system doesn't seem to want to remember my USB devices. I can turn the system on, and all of the devices are gone. I unplug, then replug them, they are re-detected and work until the next restart. Sometimes my printer (HP 895Cse) is not detected at all when I re-plug it. Sometimes I HAVE to unplug the flight sim yoke while the PC is turned off then plug it in after I boot up, otherwise it isn't detected at all. Nothing about the situation makes any sense.

The USB devices I use are as follows: CH Products Rudder Pedals (for flight sim), CH Products Yoke (also for flight sim), Canon CanoScan FB620U and the HP printer mentioned above. Currently I am also using a 4-port USB hub plugged into the back of the PC. I have already tried the "one thing at a time" approach, but nothing seems to work or fail consistantly. Any ideas?

Two things you need to turn on in your BIOS.Restart the PC and get into your BIOS, usually the F1 key or the Delete key when it prompts you get you in. Once there go to Peripherals or similar title and look for two things and ENABLE or Turn them ON.1. Legacy support for USB2. USB SupportThese both need to be turned on. If you can't find these exact things them look for USB and enable those.Let me know.
Master Frodo
Anything free is worth what you paid for it.

Most likely the USB is already enabled and going into his BIOS to check these will confirm this. The USB has to already be enabled because the USB devices DO work...be it in an odd manner. Sound like a Windows software issue in this case. It could very well be related to a corrupted USB driver, possibly(unlikely in a non-OEM system) there could be USB controller or root hub ghost drivers in the system. One suggestion I would have is to blow out the USB key in the registry, this key keeps track of all USB related drivers in the system(aside from the USB controller itself). Following some possible troubleshooting steps I would suggest taking, including steps to go backward and undo it if things go haywire.

First, don't do any of this if you have a USB keyboard AND mouse on the system, if you do have both of them as USB the system will hang up during boot on a message that says "Windows did not detect a PS/2 mouse" and you won't be able to hit enter to OK it so the system can redetect the mouse because the keyboard won't be installed yet. If either devices(or both) are PS/2 then these steps should have no adverse affects on your system. First disconnect all of your USB devices then reboot the system into safe mode(Tap F8 or hold Ctrl when you first power on, then choose safe mode from the startup menu) . Go to the device manager in your system properties and remove any USB controllers that are listed. Close the System properties, then click Start, Run, type "regedit"(no quotations) into the box. In the registry editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then to the Enum subkey, inside here you should find a USB subkey that all USB devices will be listed under. Delete the USB subkey from within Enum then reboot the computer. The system will redetect the USB controller and may prompt for your windows CD or a driver disk(if it's needed the CD would have come with the motherboard). Once it has reinstalled this the system will redetect your USB root hub and may again prompt for the drivers(or Windows CD). Now plug your USB devices directly into the USB ports on the back of your case(don't use the hub yet), only attaching one at a time and reinstall them if necessary. Now test and see if the issue has been resolved.

Disclaimer: Under normal circumstances the registry is absolutely NOT a place to be simply "deleting keys", ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHILE EDITING THE REGISTRY. The Enum key(and all structure below it) is the ONLY registry key that will recreate itself(during PnP hardware detection on bootup). If any other vital keys are deleted outside the Enum key, you'd better have a backup copy of the registry to restore to or you're stuck reinstalling Windows onto the system again. Now if by chance something does get deleted that shouldn't be while using the registry editor, all is not lost. If things go haywire after editing the registry, in Win98 you can boot the machine to a DOS prompt, navigate to the C:\Windows\Command prompt and type "scanreg /restore"(omit quotes), select a date you wish to restore to and the system should go back to that date's old backup copy of the registry(windows only backs up 5 copies of registry as the maximum by default, so don't use the scanreg /restore utility too frequently). If you're running Windows ME you can boot to Safe mode and run a System Recovery to go back to a previous date, this utility is found in your system tools directory in the start menu.

Let us know if this or any other steps work out for you axslinger. One other thing, is the hub you are using a powered hub?(does it have a built in power supply that must be plugged into a wall outlet?) If it is not, I might suggest purchasing one that is powered, that way all the USB devices you have attached to the system will not be drawing all their power from the computer's power supply(and therefore also through the motherboard). Powered hubs dramatically increase the longevity of both the USB devices themselves and the motherboard in a system =)

Hope everything works out for you,
Greatwhite, HP Pavilion Phone Technician

I will give these things a try. I appreciate the response. It is a powered hub.

Thanks again,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back