Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good way to learn to double click 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
My 90 year old mum has just learnt how to use a PC (just = 1 month ago). She's having problems double clicking. With most people, they get it after playing solitaire or minesweeper a few times but she has difficulty with those. Any suggestions for double clicking exercises?

hi,

Your operating system ought to have a variable setting for double-click.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

double-click SPEED, that is.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I've slowed it right down and that seems to be OK but there is another problem. She can't move the mouse properly. She either goes too fast i.e. it goes from side to side or too slow i.e. it inches along a quarter inch at a time. Is there anything for practicing mouse movement?

Yes, it is a newish one. It works for everyone: it is just that she's trying too hard to coordinate her arm and index finger and not succeeding. She's 90+ and only started using a PC about a month ago so I'm just trying to think of exercises that she can do to improve this.

My father-in-law had the same problem until I introduced him to where he found interesting things to browse and practice his (mouse / arthritic hand) coordination.

It worked great and within a few weeks he started writing his autobiography on his PC.

Single click sounds good. It will send my brother nuts when he tries to use mums PC; [thumbsup2]

Never use double click if i can help it.
Enable single click in control panel, icons get underlined.

Windows Solitaire was designed to introduce people to the mouse

- you can drag & drop cards on the layout
- you can double click them to put them up onto the target piles (Ace, 2, 3, ... ,K)
- You can click on Menus to start new games, etc
- you can use shortcut keys (F2, F3, etc) to perform various menu operations

I tried her on that: she doesn't like playing either solitaire or minesweeper. Somehow she just get bored playing games. Just gives up too easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back