Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Structure for Gantt chart ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exie

Programmer
Sep 3, 2003
AU
Hi,

I've got some data, which is a list of events that occur at different times, for different durations.

The key is, these events chain up together creating a tree like structure. Any tips on how I should store this ?

I thought about:
EventKey, ParentEvent, Start , End

... but that makes it pretty hard to trace back the tree... so then I was thinking like:
Parent1, parent2, parent3, parent4, parent5, event, key, start , end

.... but that wont scale very well for different depths... I was then thinking about building an XML file, but that wont fit into a traditional Oracle table very well...

Any ideas ?

Your first idea is the typical method for storage. And you are correct, it does make retreiving the data challanging.

To fully retrieve the data you'll have to cursor through to build the data into a cross tab table of sorts when you want to see it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks, ok, I've got the data in that format, Any tips/examples on how to chart it ?

... my data only covers 2 days, but has hours, minutes and seconds in it, so it will need to be a fairly detailed time frame.

I was thinking about trying to use something like this:

... which looks like it now has some DB support... not sure how it works though ... <shrug>

Check in the Oracle Forums. I'm a SQL DBA so I don't remember much of my PL/SQL.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

You might want to have a look at the 'connect by' syntax for heirarchical retrieval in Oracle (9i). It'll extract the data very well for you

Jim

Hi,

"Any tips/examples on how to chart it ?"

Are you going to use a charting tool or drawing shapes?

I've done it both ways. The charting tool is easier but you may have more conrol using shapes.

For each row of data, from left to right, you have and OFFSET, Bar1, Offset, BAR2....

Each offset has no fill or outline. Each bar has it's own fill and outline characteristics.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back