Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good NAS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pythTonk

Technical User
Jul 18, 2006
US
Hi, I’m searching for NAS for my personal home use; BYOD NAS is ok with me. I have about 400GBs of Multimedia files, and what I would like to do is to have the NAS be an UPnP server and have it DMA compatible, so I can watch my files on my TV. But also, I need the NAS to support my regular computing as well, and to be a backup server would be great as well.

Have you looked at the new Linksys Wireless Router with Media Center. It allows you to connect an external disk enclosure via USB to the router

I've looked at the LinkSys page, I looked at the entertainment product section and there is no mention of what you are describing. However, if it is the Media Center Extender, I cannot use that, because I do not have nor do I want to buy a Media Center Computer. I'm just attempting to find a NAS w/UPnP support. If anyone has used a DMA with great success with a UPnP NAS, that info would be great as well.

For a NAS with UPnP support:
Buffalo LinkStation Home Media Server is what I went for - I chose the 300GB model but it also comes in 400GB flavour.

I teamed it up with their wireless ethernet converter which lets you connect up to 4 wired devices to a wireless network as I'm trying to camoflauge my tech stuff around the house.

I've had it running about 3 months for automated backups etc. Setup was a breeze and it's had no issues staying attached to my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G). I haven't done much with the streaming as my Nokia N80 needs a firmware upgrade to resolve some streaming issues, but I setup the included PCCast server on the LinkStation and can see the files so I believe that it functions correctly.
If you need more info than supplied in the links give their techies a call via the customer sales line - they were very helpful when I enquired about a possible wireless version of the LinkStation. First helpline I've called in years where they actually knew their stuff.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back