Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Computer Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagoat10

Programmer
Jun 3, 2010
US
Greetings,
Seeing as how i am new to the scene of this great website, i have a question. What programs or software do most people use to create webpages or code websites with PHP, AJAX, ColdFusion, HTML, etc. I know there is MS Office Frontpage, but i want to make the code myself, and then display it on the web, but not sure what to use.

Use anything that will do what you want to do the way you want to do it. There is no one-size-fits-all program.

Personally, I use FoxPro to do 99% of my website coding, but that is really not a viable option for most people nor for most websites.

mmerlinn

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

There are several good text editors with syntax highlighting available. I have used Programmers Notepad, but nowadays I prefer Notepad++ released under GPL. It has lots of useful facilities for website makers, including automated escape/unescape, macros and the ability to launch web pages in any installed browser direct from the edit page.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Notepad++, I think, is a must have, web design or not. [wink]

Also, you could look into the various CMSes that are available. I like Drupal as an example, but there are lots of them. Wordpress and Joomla are examples. If you go that route, you can learn the code along with all the rest of it..

And of course, there's the big appp, I'd say, Adobe Dreamweaver. There you can code something, and then live preview to see what it looks like. However, it is somewhat similar to front page in that it adds in extra code. I suppose most if not all client web editors will do that... though I've not really taken the time to check into all of them.

Also, MS Expressions replaced Frontpage, and it's supposedly much much better... I've not spent any time with it myself.

Then there's also Microsoft Visual Studio. If you want to build any .net stuff, that'd be the best route to start with, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back