Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

good code?? ie mozilla difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROFESSORSPARKIE

Instructor
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have some web pages that seem to be coded correctly but are rendered differently under Mozilla & IE.

Mozilla works fine, just as i expect it to but IE expands pass the 100% width level. I want a force to fit option on web page width. I use Width="100%" in the page code.

I have a size to fit option running in Mozilla but can't find a similar option in IE.

I tried to follow display settings from the "IE" HELP menu which said to go to TOOLS ->INTERNET OPTIONS-> select ADVANCED tab->use windows display settings check WEB PAGE CONTROL for options. Ihe last options were not there.
I hoped I would find the solution.

Is there a setting like in Mozilla or a HTML setting I do not know if there is?

Visit the following page under each browser. Mozilla works great.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Hi

PROFESSORSPARKIE said:
I have some web pages that seem to be coded correctly
Seem... To seem, or not to seem... I think you should be happy to have problem only in one browser.

Validator about your page said:
Result: Failed validation, 113 errors
The issue is not in the browser, your HTML document is incorrect.

First correct your markup errors then post your question in forum215.

Feherke.

I took it through V4 Validator and saw the errors but I reduced the file to fewer lines of code(there are 80 similar pages) and fixed them but the page still went past the right edge of screen.

I was thinking the problem was in not setting a

"reduce to fit"

option like on Mozilla. and since the help menu led me to a bad ending, I just could not find it.

I know the "WIDTH="100%" is not a standard in the TABLE tag but the other browsers support it.

Any feed back on the HELP menu system. I will retry the original HTML after fixing the 80 some identical pages.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Any feed back on the HELP menu system.

What help menu system? I couldn't see any references to "help" anywhere, nor a menu (unless you mean the links of people - bit that's hardly "help"?)

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

on IE top bar is the HELP selection and I searched through and ran into a dead end as I specified.

My point is if a table tag has a width="100%" why doesn't IE respect it. Also why isn't there a force to fit the screen option. under Mozilla both of these work, or I am just expecting to much from the top of the line browser.

Sorry I am to dense.

Hi

As a quick solution : give absolute sizes to the [tt]img[/tt] tags instead of percents.

Sorry, but I find difficult to read a document written entirely with uppercase letters. And I find program source codes and document markups in uppercases even more difficult. And sorry, but there are simply to many errors. Just a quick overview :
[ul]
[li]Deprecated practices :
[ul]
[li]table based design instead of CSS[/li]
[li]decorating with attributes instead of CSS[/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Nonexistent tag :
[ul]
[li]bold[/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Proprietary tags :
[ul]
[li]blink[/li]
[li]backgroundcolor[/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Deprecated tags :
[ul]
[li]center[/li]
[li]font[/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Deprecated attributes :
[ul]
[li]background for [tt]body[/tt][/li]
[li]border for [tt]tr[/tt][/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Misspells :
[ul]
[li][highlight white][tt]VLINK="DARKBL[red]O[/red]E"[/tt][/highlight][/li]
[li][highlight white][tt]</[red]DT[/red]>[/tt][/highlight][/li]
[li][highlight white][tt]<[red]/[/red]TR BORDER=0>[/tt][/highlight][/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Markup errors :
[ul]
[li][highlight white][tt]<TD WIDTH="25%"><FONT SIZE=2>
[red]<you can not enclose a list between [tt]font[/tt] tags>[/red]
[red]<you should open the list here>[/red]
<li> <a href="ALDERMAN_RAMONA.HTML">RAMONA ALDERMAN</A>[red]<you should close the list item here>[/red][/tt][/highlight][/li]
[/ul][/li]
[li]Logic errors :
[ul]
[li][highlight white][tt]<BODY BACKGROUND="GOLDMARBLE.JPG" TEXT="BLACK" VLINK="DARKBLOE" ALINK="RED" [red]"you should specify background color as alternative to the image"[/red]>
<CENTER>
[red]<you should use heading hierarchically, starting with [tt]h1[/tt]>[/red]
<H2>
[/tt][/highlight][/li]
[/ul][/li]
[/ul]
PROFESSORSPARKIE said:
I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.
I agree. You can never learn it all. But please learn the basics. We are glad to help you when needed, but for now you do not need help. Now you need to learn the basics first.

Feherke.

to fereke

I appreciate your feed back. I am not a typist and do a POOK job on use of cap letters. I type with one finger and do not use the caps key as I should. Maybe I should write a perl utility to change case in the tags of all my pages or something. I don't know of such a utility.

I will take your advice to heart except the use of a specific size. Different visitors have a screen size from 600x800 to 1200x1800 or "what ever", and I want them all to see a full screen width with out scrolling.

I teach using xx% to insure the pages are rendered the same for everyone.

Again thanks. I write a lot of pages including perl-cgi but I also write in about 10 different languages with each one having standards contrary to other languages. Some case sensitivity others not, some all caps others mixed etc.

Hi back

But allowing size go to say 50% everyone sees the same size image and the rest of the page remains balanced. it would be simpler if you could override the receiver screen size but that would be impossible from a Windows & graphic card memory standpoint for some users.

Thanks again. I will work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back