Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

good coax crimper-suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
Hi,

I want to run a coax jack from my storage room (where the coax from in my house hooks up to a splitter) to my workshop. Pulling (and getting) the coax cable wont be a problem, since it goes right through the wall into the shop.

What I need is a good, cheap crimper for coax. All I need to do is crimp 2 or 3 plugs. I have the Ideal Crimpmaster with the RJ45 die, but I dont want to spend the $ for the coax die. Any suggestions for a basic RG59/RG6 crimper that wont cost too much? I dont care if it is ratcheting or whatever, as long as it will work for 2-3 plugs.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Several manufactures make ends that don't require crimping. I don't have any names but I bet a store like Radio Shack would have some. The ones I used screwed on to the jacket for support.

Jeff....you might just try a google search. I just did a search at for RG6 coax crimp tool and was presented with many options, several under $20. If you go to Radio Shack you can pick up a couple different styles of cheap ones. If you are going to just do a couple and don't care about the quality, signal leakage, etc. you can crimp the sleeve with a pair of pliers to hold it on. The screw on ones are a well known source of signal leakage, but if you are after cheap and easy those would work too.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

thanks, i guess i will take a trip to my local RadioShack to see what they have. I want to get the connectors through my dad's work since they will be better quality. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

well i went to radioshack tonight
being stupid, I bought the cheapest crimp tool there. it was $5 and all it is is a pair of pliers like with two holes to "crimp" with. I got some plugs too and a coax stripper. I tried using this so called crimper and the plug came off. Then I tried Vise-Grips and even though I thought it was crimped on but this plug came off too.
Grr...I guess I will see if I can get some scrap coax and some plugs and borrow a crimper from my dad's office. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Well Jeff you can either be a wiring professional...or not. You said you wanted cheap, and you got it. I second the snap and seal, best ones i've seen. There are two types of crimpers for it, both are very good.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

well i certainly want to be professional. I mean its for 2 connectors, in my house, not a whole building for a customer. I know not to get that tool again! I think Adelphia uses those Snap and Seal connectors now, and one of their connections at my house failed:)
how much do those plugs cost? jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Well any connector can fail, or it can be improperly installed, or improperly handled causing failure. Generally the Snap-n-Seal line is a good solid product. They are made by Thomas and Betts I think.

I think I pay about .50 cents a piece for them, they are designed for each type of cable, so if you are using RG6 dual shielded wire be sure to get the proper connector for that wire.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Jeff;

You seem like a nice young guy so I will put it to you this way.

A workman never blames his tools because he is the one who is responsible for his work product. If you want good work product you have to start with decent materials and tools.

A friend once figured he could save some money on a saw since he was just going to make a cut or two. Well the saw broke and besides buggering up the work he bled all over it. If you don’t want to spend the money on tools to do the job correctly hire someone who can.

In the end it pays to invest in good tools. I am still using some tools I bought 30 years ago and they make me feel good.

Hey wires, missed ya, welcome back! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back