Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good book on VB.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARiot

Programmer
Feb 7, 2007
Hi. There are some threads for this but I wanted one that's still open.

Can anyone recommend a good book on VB.net programming? I'm an Access programmer with the vba/vb6 experience needed to program in it. I haven't used OOP before but I dont' think it'll be a big deal to pick up.

I need a book that's not lethargically slow as in first time VB programmer nor one that's too advanced to keep up with or that it skips some steps that would be obvious to the author but not the reader.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it's not too much trouble, please also indicate why you think the book(s) are so good.

Thanks

-Nima

Take a look at Wrox's line of books. They're generally well written, easy to follow and contain complete examples (at least their beginning books do). Look here:

That's (Wrox) what I would recommend also. I have Visual Basic 2005 Programmer's Reference currently, although I would probably recommend getting the advanced book also.

After a bit more testing I found out that regardless of what the tag of the controls to be deleted is, it always only sees 2 controls with that tag during the delete procedure.

For example, I have 4 records in the table right now, when I add a new blank row of controls, that makes the 5th record. So, when I run the delete, it sees 4 controls with the tag "1", 4 with "2", 4 with "3", 4 with "4" and 2 with "5". But, if I don't add a new blank row, it does the same thing to the "4"'s. That should mean that the controls are being added correctly and with the correct tag values.

Also, if I run the delete procedure 4 times it will delete all 4 controls from the last row. It deletes 2 the first time, as I described above, and 1 each the next 2 times. All while seeing the correct "highest tag" value (5).

I know that's a lot of info, but I was hoping it might give someone some clues, as I have just about exhausted everything I know to check.

Thanks again to everyone, both in advance, and after the fact. Your help is, and has been, appreciated.

Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. My apologies.

I haven't used OOP before but I dont' think it'll be a big deal to pick up."

I'm afraid you'll find this statement to be not true in reality. Getting OOP right for future flexibility and maintainability whilst getting the design simple is very difficult.

Can I suggest you start with the Head First Object Oriented Design book.

C

I also agree that the Wrox books are very good, I reccomend "Provessional VB 2005" I'm sure they have a 2008 book out now. The Micorsoft press books are also very good. I would go to half.com you can save a ton there on computer books.

OK, thanks. I've been looking amazon and the WROX books don't seem to have the best responses. Some good and some not so good. The Microsoft books seem to be the best. Figures they would make sure their books are particularly good.

Now, my version of VB Express is 2008 so I'm guessing I need the VB.net 2008 books.

Also, can anyone let me know what technologies I need to learn? Maybe I can choose a book which teaches those.

Thanks.

-Nima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back