Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Book for VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

simeybt

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
GB
All,
I’ve been working with VBA for about two years n and off now but I’ve never seen a book in relation to just VBA. is this because it closely resembles VB. If anybody knows where these is a book on VBA I be grateful for to be pointed in it direction

Thanks in Advnace

simey

hi simeybt,

One reason is that Visual BASIC for Applications has application specific Objects for each application. So you'll find some good books for VBA for Excel and some other for VBA for Word.

There are a few that are JUST VBA...

VBA Developer's Handbook, 2nd Edition by Ken Getz, Mike Gilbert

VB and VBA in a Nutshell: The Languages
by Paul Lomax

I have not read Lomas. Getz writes good reference.

If you're into Excel, then John Walkenbach has some really good reference books.

Hope this helps :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Has anyone tried "VBA for Dummies", Is that a good book?

Being somewhat proficient at Excel and suddenly having to write macros in VBA for a rush project, I just got the "Definitive Guide to Excel VBA, 2nd Ed) by Michael Kofler, 2003.

Pretty good, does assume you know Excel. Covers up to Excel 2002. About 1000 pages.

-Pete

Hmm, I wonder if they have that at my local barnes and noble. But I did see a book Microsoft put out themselves for Excel VBA, but after thinking about it, I figured they might have their own bias and not report on any bugs on their VBA as other books have. But then again I'm sure they might have greater insight as an outside author might have.

Wrox Excel 2002 VBA is the book I use at the moment. Extremely useful and easily understood.

I've also used Oreilly's Writing Excel Macros with VBA, its pretty good also, especially if you're a beginner also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back