Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goldmine locks up on replies, new messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptilsen

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2009
US
I have am managing a small network, with maybe 100 employees with email, and I have about 15 users who won't switch from Goldmine because they need it for the CRM features.

Two of these users have major issues sending emails. One can send emails, but Goldmine will lock up for 2 - 5 minutes when he clicks "send". The email does eventually send.

The other cannot do replies specifically. Goldmine locks up indefinitely and the email does not send.

I had them both repeat the issue on other computers to confirm these were user-specific issues, rather than problems on their computers. Other users do not have these problems.

Admittedly, I don't really know where to start with this. I've been managing the computers her for about six months, and luckily serious Goldmine problems have been sparse enough that I haven't had to deal with it. But we can't switch away from it yet and I need to get this working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What version of GoldMine are you using?

---
Chad Smith

Check out the GoldMine Blog at
MCP - Microsoft SQL Server
Crystal Reports Certified Professional
GoldMine Certified Professional
Microsoft CRM Certified Professional

Does this only occur when they're sending mail with attachments? It could be the option 'Save attachments as linked documents'. By default, this option is on and can cause this behavior when sending mail with an attachment (including signature graphics, etc.) to a contact with a lot of items on their links tab.

Depending on your version you may need to go to Tools|Options|Email|More Options|Retrieval
or
Edit|Preferences|Internet|More Options|Retrieval

turn off the option and see if things improve.

Doug Castell
Castell Computers

It really is difficult to answer this type of question without knowing the Version & Build the GoldMine application being used, and whether it is on the SQL of the dBase backend.

DJ Hunt
Phone: (978)2-3333
- The Hacker's Guide to GoldMine Premium
- One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )

The version we're using is GoldMine 7.0 (not SQL), the problem seems to have occurred during one of the last Microsoft updates for Outook. The mail stays 'online' and does not go into the inbox of the Email Center.

Any email that is replied to, can be delayed by as much as 3 minutes before it is sent.

Hi

Try renaming the users username.ini get them to log back in, they will need to re-enter their email settings (make a note of them before you rename the file) in preferences then try the email. It may be the files for some of the users have corrupted.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Ingham
Prior Analytics Ltd (UK)
GoldMine, HEAT, Sage CRM and Microsoft CRM

Is it just me? I don't remember this as being possible:

The version we're using is GoldMine 7.0 (not SQL)

Either way, if you are on GoldMine 7.0 then you really should upgrade to GoldMine 7.5.1 which is on SQL. That might resolve your issues as well.

DJ Hunt
Phone: (978)2-3333
- The Hacker's Guide to GoldMine Premium
- One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )

We are of course on SQL. I am sharing this account with one of the users and he posted last to describe the problem he has. His Goldmine locks up completely on any emails for several minutes, while the other user simply can't reply to any emails.

I will try the attachment setting, the user ini change, and look into getting updates.

Thanks.

Good news! Recreating the ini file solved it for one of the users. I still have to try it for the other, but I'm thinking it will do the trick.

Thanks. I'll get back to you on the results.

Bad news. I spoke to soon. It worked for a few replies. I walk away and a few minutes later he said it wasn't working. It's not doing the exact same thing. He did not change any settings. I'm going to try the update to 7.5.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is 7.5 not an update I can get for free?

As long as your maintenance contract for GoldMine is up to date then it is included, you need to speak to your GoldMine partner who will be able to advise.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Ingham
Prior Analytics Ltd (UK)
GoldMine, HEAT, Sage CRM and Microsoft CRM

I sincerely doubt it is. It was not really managed at all before I showed up six months ago, and my predecessor didn't really believe in documenting anything. I guess I'll have to call FrontRange and try to determine if we have any sort of maintenance contract for it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back