Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goldmine Data Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC801340

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
GB
I have inherited a bit of a problem and as I have not really had much Goldmind experience, I am not sure how it can be solved!

I have three users all using Goldmine 6.5 with seperate local databases.

There is no need for three seperate databases as all the data is the same and so I would like to move the data from one of the client machines to a server and then tell Goldmine on all 3 clients to use that instead.

There is also a requirement for 2 of the users to have offline access to the data and so I would need to synch the data locally and then synch any chances they have made offline when they connect to the network again.

What would be the best approach for me to take in solving each issue?

Many thanks

There is a merge/purge wizard that would allow you to merge the records into a single database.

Goldsyc is a synchronization tool that you are looking for in regards to offline access. I do not know the cost but it is pretty resonable.

Also you will have to purchase a multiuser Goldmine license, which should not be dificult, just be aware of it.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Once I have merged the records into a single database..what would be the procedure for pointing all client copies to the data?

I assume I would just copy the data files to a server location and point the clients to that folder? Or would I require a full Goldmine installation on the server?

You would require multi user version of goldmine, something you most probably do not own, and have it installed somewhere. I don't believe this has to be a server, it could be a shared workstation.

Bottom line is that it is time to call a Goldmine reseller to work through the legal and technical details.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I would suggest you following steps:

1. Do you have three separate license? You will need them.
2. Do a fresh install of GoldMine 6.5 onyour "server". this could be just a workstation. If one of the existing machines are to be this "server" then there should not be a requirement for a fresh install.
3. Do a backup of the GoldMine Directory of each machine.
4. Do a re-index and re-build of each machine.
5. Create a GoldMine sync set from each machine using File>>Synhronise>>Syncronisation Wizard. Make sure the cutoff is set at 1/1/1980 or something nice and early to make sure you get all synchronisations. Move them to the server.
6. On the server add all the licenses to GoldMine using File>>Configure>>License Manager. The result is you have a three-user copy of GoldMine.
7. Add all users to the system.
8. In the license manager create to undocked license for each of the two people who need a remote installation.
9. Go to those remote machines and rename the license.dbf file to license.old.dbf or something similar.
10. When you log back into these machines GoldMine will not be able to find the license and ask you to put in the license details. Please add the previously created undocked license to each of the machines.
11. On the server retrieve the previously created sync sets. This should give one central database with all records from previous systems. You may need to go through and do a merge/purge from Tools>>Merge/Perge Records to clean up any duplicates. Make sure you do a backup of the GoldMine directory before completing this.
12. Once complete do a re-index/rebuild on the database.
13. Now you can create a sync set from the "server" and then retrieve these into the remotes.

I think I have covered everything.

Jason Wienert
Central City Communications
Brisbane, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back