Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going to buy arctic silver. Got questions! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidman

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
US
Hey everybody!
I finally found out where they sell arctic silver here in Moscow! Gonna go get in couple of hours! So i have a couple of questions:
1) arctic silvers website suggests the use of acetone to clean the contact surfaces! Cant i just use the paper towel instead, like i always did? I really dont feel comfortable wiping such delicate thing with carburateur cleaner, either!
2) Also, their website suggests applying the compound on both the CPU and the sink. Whats the point?! I always applied it on the sink.
3) What does it mean: "Proper conductivity shall be attained in 200-300 hours". Whats "proper"? How shall it conduct untill then?
4) does it harden over time? I mean, would i be able to scrape it off, in say a year if need be?

Thank you

1. I always use alcohol for cleaning off old paste, works for me

2. I only ever apply it to one surface

3. It will work straight away but its performance will improve over that period

3. It will go stiffer but can still be cleaned off

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

But alcohol leaves white residue! And since my old paster is white silicone - it can be easily wped off with a dry paper towel!

Thanks for advice!

When you consider that The company "Artic Silver" says that it's paste shouldn't even be applied with a "bare" finger because of possible contamination and therefore decreased performance of the paste, you can see why they are so critical about cleaning the surfaces the paste is actually applied too.
If you can accept that these microscopic multi sized silver orbs have special properties to both fill in the surface inperfections and improve heat transfer over a standard product, why can you not accept cleaning with a paper towel doesn't remove ALL the old white paste and the possible contamination that this old residue may bring to the new substance.
"wetting" the contact area of the heatsink with a small amount of AS, just leaving a very even application of paste "pre fills and helps to expell" possible air pockets, I find one of those very thin food bags ideal for placing over my finger, then I apply the paste with small rotational movements.
I then apply a small amount of the paste to the raised core (about the amount of a couple of grains of rice for an Athlon core) spread this evenly over the core.
Carbontetracloride, triclorethylene, thinners or similar solvent that doesn't leave anything behind after cleaning but apply to the cloth not the core and the cloth must be lint free and NOT man made (cotton Tee shirt material ideal)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The reason they suggest acetone is b/c it will dissolve most anything, Nail polish remover is acetone. Just make sure you get it w/o anything else in it. The cleaner the better is my opinion.

I just put some. 3 degree drop so far.

paparazi
i'm not sure, but I think i've seen you answering artic silver questions before-you've got good guidance-if you fixed a faq it might save you some answering time and give us all a permanent reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back