Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going it on my own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannas

Programmer
Sep 12, 2002
US
Folks I am looking for comments:

I am an old telephone, key, pbx tech that has always worked for the big telphone guys. As with many, I am laid off.

Any of you had any luck going out on your own?

I feel I can do a better job for a customer than the big guys were letting me do.

I need the pros and cons.

Mannas

Mannas,

The hours are LONG. The responsibility HIGH. The money very average. Time off for the first few years is NOT. And you have to do your own paper work and government forms. If you're in Canada, you will have to write a provincial TQ allowing you to draw cabling permits for jobs... you are no longer covered under Federal jurisdiction. AND you will have to buy your own tools. :)
If you get through the first couple of years in one piece you will have a nice job for the rest of your desired working life.
If you are starting your own game, don't hire anyone. Look for subcontractors until you can see the cash flow. Also don't invest in a lot of inventory. Stock up on all the little bits that make a finnished job sweet.

Cheers
PhM

P.S. Got the T shirt.

1. Are you an American citizen?
2. No you currently hold or have held a security clearance?
3. If so, and you are willing to travel (a lot) overseas, check with Splice-Co, Inc. (205) 884-1117 talk with Jimmy Morris or Frank Finch.

You should contact a CPA. He can start the paperwork to incorprate your business. There is alot of overhead in starting your own business and alot of tax laws you have to follow.
I am doing the same thing now.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back