Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

going from uni to multi processors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

csg

MIS
Oct 6, 1998
US
I have a client that we recently upgraded too two dual processors<br>
the boot environment see's the second processor but nt does not.<br>
I tried the uptomp (not very nice!!)In the readme it states if you are successful?? you will get a prompt that says so. I got a succesful prompt and rebooted to a blue screen of death stating something about fastfat.To restore boot and system 32 files I did a side by side install, installing nt server into a winnt.bak directory.when it came up it saw both processors. My problem is if i do a fresh install and restore data from tape the server has about 10 differnt programs to reinstall I.E. exchange,proxy,IIS,and multiple others that take a long time to reinstall and setup.<br>
any ideals help. thanks

I read about the uptomp patch last week for the same reason (Client with a new SMP server//Wanted to deploy the base system and then add the second CPU when it arrived a week later. I told them to wait for all the parts.) It would probably be better to re-install and migrate the apps than worry about a client with a hacked server. It would be nice to have access to a server with the same SMP/Hardware platform; export the Hardware hive and then restore the applications from backup. It would still be a hack; But likely a more effective one. (The stress alone is justification or our salry :)<br>
-troop

The problem here is the system files have mixed versions. After running the uptomp.exe, you must reinstall the current service pack to bring everything up to the same version level. What I like to do is skip the uptomp.exe altogether and modify the setup.log file. In the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q168132, under the Windows NT Version 4.0 heading (for resolutions), there is are instructions for modifying the setup.log [Files.WinNT] section. Do what it says, and then install the service pack. Magically, you are now running in multiprocessor mode. The setup.log file can be found under %SystemRoot%\Repair\setup.log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back