Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going from BCM 400 3.5 to BCM 400 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

koulioumbis

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2009
GR
Hello Team !!
Could someone advice what is the best option to take an old lab system ( no any programming to save ) from release 3.5 to 4.0?
I remember there was need to update the BFT bios before the upgrade from 3.x to 4.0. There is nothing to save as it is a lab system so plugging a BCM 4.0 Disk will boot? and then do an MSC Core upload? Or there is other way?
What about the BIOS? If i remember back from 2005 i think the 3.X BFT can boot to 4.0 drive but it is better to do the bios update.
Regards

Nikos

Hi K

My impression is you cannot go straight 3.5 to 4.0
Like you cannot go straight from BCM50 R1 to R6

You will need to
-add upgrade keycode to 3.6 or 3.7
-then upgrade to 3.6 or 3.7
-add upgrade keycode to 4.0
-then upgrade to 4.0.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

hello CC
yes i know, but provided there is nothing to save and i do not want to go via the upgrade process the question is if BCM 4.0 disk will boot direct on the BFT that used to be 3.5 or not.
I have to find my old notes.... getting old... working with BCM since 2000 and there is lot's of info stored around.

regards

Nikos

I understand what you want/mean but my answer will still be the same "My impression is you cannot go straight 3.5 to 4.0"

I am guessing that if you upgrade to 3.6 or 3.7 then it does any BIOS updates.

This is why I mention "Like you cannot go straight from BCM50 R1 to R6"
If you remove the R1 hard drive and drop in an R6, it wont work as the BIOS wont know what to do with it.

I could be wrong though.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

No BCM400/200 BFT ( Motherboard) is Intel based and it is different.
i will do some try and error testing later tonight or tomorrow morning and let you know.

regards
Nikos

The last poster here might be what your after as I think they are replying to the OP's first post however appears to be installed after and not before.

As for Intel, I had just assumed all boards were Intel.

I hope this upgrade goes well either way.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back