Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

going from 2 node to 3 node cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndp125

Technical User
Mar 30, 2005
US
Hello all,
I am new to OpenVMS and below is my query

I have a DS25 and XP1000(satellite node) clustered with a common environment, no quorum disk and running openVMS v7.3-1. I am trying to add a new node (EV68 DS25) as a satellite node.
They are on Ethernet lan, running Decnet Plus and Alphas.All machines are in the same room.

I have started the procedure of Cluster_config (on clustered node DS25) and have bunch of options and questions.

My basic objective to add an Alpha node to the clustered (common system disk) environment
Now I went to the clustered node and ran cluster_config (with Lancp) and choose (1) Add node

Then it asked is this node to be a clustered node with SCSI/FIBRE CHANNEL ? Yes (I have lan so in the cluster example they mentioned yes)

What is the node's SCS node name?: PLUTO (new terminal EV68)

What is the node's full decnet name?: (Can I give any name here for e.g [.DISK3]

what is the Mop name [PLUTO]? "accepted default"

Does PLUTO need to be registered [N]? YES

(As I had not registered this before)
Ran through some operations

What is the Cluster Alias fullname?
I still have to read more about what Cluster Alias mean? hence I have stopped here. and gave Ctrl Y and aborted.

I would specifically like to know more about the above Alias fullname (an example related to my case) and whether MOP name is fine. as I could not get a clear understanding from the manuals.

If you are wondering about the status of new terminal EV68
Then I just recently started the FIS procedure for V 7.3-2 and started the system. I haven't done anything to it. I just want it to be a satellite node so I don't think this operating system or the system disk on EV68 is needed. In a nutshell I just want to have one system disk as before.

Any suggestions you can give will be very helpful
Thanks a lot
Nipun

The cluster alias is a way of load balancing applications to run across multiple servers. Don't recommnend this if its going to be a satellite node. You realize that by making it a satellite node, that if the primary node goes is unavailable the satellite nodes will be down also.

The decnet nodename should be local:.'the name of the node'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back