Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going Down Memory Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9999

Programmer
Jun 19, 2004
US
More fodder for general semi-off topic chat related to Delphi...

How many people still have paper manuals for Delphi or Turbo Pascal? How many still make use of them?

I used to have both (Delphi 3 and Turbo Pascal 7), but I threw away my Turbo Pascal 7 ones (didn't think they had any use anymore). I still have my Delphi 3 manuals on the shelf (6 of them, 3 or 4 inches thick total). BTW, when did they stop offering the paper manuals, out of curiousity?

As well, I still got a poster of the D3 object hierarchy (don't know quite what use it has). Has anyone found that of use and do they stick those up on the walls in programming shops that use Delphi? It wasn't in the one I visited, maybe because they stopped offering it and got old, or just not used...

[Hand is up]

I still have manuals for TP v3 through 8! And Delphi up to 7, I think, but 6 for sure. I'm such a pack rat! I'm probably closer to being dead than needing any of it ever again. I need a dumpster.

I still have my D6 manual and some books about Delphi ranging from D1 to D7. I already dumped my TP books :)

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

I still have manuals for TP v3 through 8! And Delphi up to 7, I think, but 6 for sure. I'm such a pack rat! I'm probably closer to being dead than needing any of it ever again. I need a dumpster.
Wow, I wasn't going to admit mine, until reading yours...

I still have manuals for TP V2 through BP7, plus, TPW5 AND TPW5.5 [new(new(new(new(yuk)))) - who remembers that?], plus all of the TP4 Toolboxes! And Delphi thru D7E. (Skipped v3 & 6) And most of the Turbo Power Tool manuals. I too need a big dumpster.

Who still has the 5-1/4" Install Diskettes? LOL

Roo
Delphi Rules!

>Who still has the 5-1/4" Install Diskettes?

[Hand up... again!]

I wasn't counting the toolboxes (have 'em) or TurboPower (also kept them) or the Blaise tools. I just discovered recently that the license/serial numbers on the TurboPower certificates had faded and are now invisible. :( Can't reinstall from those CDs.

I do have a spare (new) 5.25" drive which I've never installed in a computer, but I have it just in case. Also two new 3.5" drives, waiting to replace something that no longer gets used because of USB sticks.

I also still have an Atari 800. I have a serious issue with letting go. I did give my TRS-80 away, but it was broken.

What is this, parallel lives? I didn't mention the Blaise tools because I didn't think anyone would have even heard of them. I got my Atari 800 free for looking at timeshare property. Hope we're not too far OT. :p

You know you're a geezer when...

>I didn't think anyone would have even heard of them.

Isn't most, if not all the TurboPower stuff now available from SourceForge?

There was also a large collection of tools from a Russian software house - I can't remember what they were called, just that they were constantly appearing on magazine cover disks - and that they weren't bad. I've probably got still got them on an old hard disk somewhere.

[vampire][bat]

There was also a large collection of tools from a Russian software house - I can't remember what they were called, just that they were constantly appearing on magazine cover disks - and that they weren't bad. I've probably got still got them on an old hard disk somewhere.

wouldn't that be RXLib? (also on sourceforge now)

/Daddy

I should have included DbExpl32 from the RxLib/JVCL in Glenn's Additional Tools thread since I still use it to query Paradox tables.

I'm sure you'll agree we owe much to all the contrubutors at SourceForge.

Roo
Delphi Rules!

I'm sure you'll agree we owe much to all the contrubutors at SourceForge.

problem is I can't always use these because I work on commercial projects. (And I am not sharing the source code :) )

I've still got my TP3 manuals along with copies of most of the source I wrote in it since back in the '80's. Then there's Cobol, Fortran, and PL1 source from the '70's. I like to look through it now and again and recall how tight we wrote back when storage was dear.

Bill K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back