Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goals aren't saved in Internet Sidekick with W98 & ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanMcKean

Technical User
Nov 4, 2001
GB
I have just found this site and wonder if anyone can help because I still love SKW! I can add Goals but they disappear when I close and reopen Internet Sidekick. Another peculiarity is that after adding a goal (before they disappear of course) the Enter Date is shown as 5/11/1993. Can anyone help?

Dear Ian,
Please see FAQ no 1 about this issue
i.e. Click the Write your own FAQ Tab on the top of the Reply Box below this Comment/Post and select the FAQ
Regards
Jim

James
Thanks for this - I am now downloading the skw98 files suggested in FAQ1. However, I don't think this is quite the same problem. I seem to remember the invalid file to complete this action message from SKW95 when moving through Y2K dates, but in Internet Sidekick I do not get any error message when I enter goals. It just won't save them, but it is only after you exit the program and then go back in that you realise it hasn't saved the goals you've keyed in.

Looking forward to trying SKW 98...

Ian

For several years - lots of years - I have used Starfish Sidekick. Recently the copy I had purchased by download from Beyond.com had something happen to it as the result of a virus my computer got. Imagine my panic when I got on Starfish.com and found not only that they don't make the product anymore but also that they don't give advice of the type I want. My question: Can you still buy Sidekick 99 anywhere? I'd buy a new copy. Or - is there any PIM that will import Sidekick files? I am a freelance writer. I have 20 years of addresses, 10 years of dream journaling, a couple years of regular journaling, a whole bunch of recipes, in short most of the contents of my brain, in Sidekick 99. When I try to open it, Windows tells me it can't find Cityinfo.dat and aborts the program. I looked and cityinfo.dat is in the program folder. I'm sorry to run on like this. I sound a little crazy. I am, at this point.
Marybeth38
technical user

James
I have been trying the SKW98 I downloaded and find that it still won't let me save goals, just like Internet Sidekick. I suppose I will have to forget about using goals, which is a pity. Surely goals is such an essential part of the system that they must have tested it prior to release?

Marybeth
I remember getting the cityinfo.dat error in SKW 95 I think. You could download SKW98 from the location given by James I suppose, but it's a big download, 9MB.

Ian

Dear MaryBeth38,
Don,t Panic!
I hope you saw the the FAQ1 that Ian followed, just do the same and all should be alright but make sure you COPY the Userdata folder and to be sure to be sure ALL the starfish folders and subfolders to somewhere else as a Backup before you reinstall sidekick.
Then go with the standard install of Sidekick98.
You can then navigate to the backup you have made and open all your calendar/Cards/Write/Expense /goals files and SaveAs in the new Userdata folder.
I'm dashing this off quick as I'm at work will get back with the Patch for SDK98 for Ian when I can soon.
Regards Jim

Here you are Ian,
Download site for Sidekick patch is :
ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe

But read this page first:

There are other answers on the site too see top right of page for search help.
Also go to the vintage products support page at:

I'm sorry I should have given you the address the last time but I'm just finishing off a Database (the point where you think you're nearly finished and it is only half done)! and my mind is in a tiz!
Good luck
Jim

Dear MaryBeth,
I have by accident come across your problem when trying to see if a Sidekick98 Etwin.dll File would work with Internet Sidekick....
I substituted the 98 version for the Internet one and when I came to start the program it came up with the same error message as you had i.e Can't find CityInfo.dat.
If you haven't been doing the same messing I have, it might still be a good idea to substitute a known good etwin.dll.
That is if you aren't up and flying with Sidekick98.
Good luck anyway
Jim

Jim,

Just to let you know that SK98 with the patch is working brilliantly now - thanks for your help!

Ian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back