Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Go to a specific record on a different form

Status
Not open for further replies.

gundie

Programmer
Feb 5, 2004
US
I have a main form (Form A), and I want to create a Search form (Form B). The Search form functions like a filter, that lets me filter down to a subset of records, based on criteria, that displays on Form B in a table via a subform. After I found the record that I'm looking for in Form B, I want to be able to double-click on the record, and the corresponding record is displayed in Form A.

How can I accomplish that? What do I need in the double-click event? Hope I'm making sense...

You can use the recordset.

[tt]Forms!frmA.Recordset.FindFirst "UniqueNumericID=" & Me.UniqueNumericID[/tt]

If you have a text identifier, you will need to use single quotes.

Tried your suggestion, but got the following message:

Object doesn't support this property or method.

Try the recordsetclone:

Code:
'Needs reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.x Object Library

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set rs = Forms!frmA.RecordsetClone

'Me!UniqueNumericID is the name of the field or control 
'on form B
rs.FindFirst "UniqueNumericID=" & Me!UniqueNumericID

If Not rs.NoMatch Then
    'Found
    Forms!frmA.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
End If

Object doesn't support this property or method
Seems like your formA isn't bound ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Take a look at thread702-1427250 and faq702-777.

The table is not bound to Form A, but it's bound to another form (Form Rec), and this Form Rec is a subform within Form A.

Still can't get it work...

I use the following method for filtering:

I add a Double click sub or an ok button in the Subform of Form B that calls a public sub/function in Form A ... called with:

Me.Parent.<your form a public sub/function name> (<Primary key(s) of selected record>)

Add a public Sub/function in Form A that takes the values you have passed and refreshes Form A

example I have a GetDate button on Form A that opens up Form B ... The Date is returned to Form A by calling Me.Parent.subRefreshDate(daDate)

Public Sub subRefreshDate(daDate as Date)
Me!txtDate.value = format(daDate,"dddd - mmmm d, yyyy")
Me.requery
Me!sbfMain.requery ' if you have a subform on Form A
end Sub

Are you saying that orm A does not have any recordset? If so, you will need to set the recordsource based on the selection in Form B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back