Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gnome toolbar disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilville

MIS
Apr 8, 2005
US
All-

I have a user who is running RHEL4 and using gnome as his desktop. He was running some design tools just fine, got up to talk to another designer for a few minutes and when he came back had some messages about applets having died. He dismissed them and then found that the toolbar at the bottom of the screen was blank. He then opened a window, minimized it and it appeared to go to the toolbar as an icon, but it disappeared into the blank toolbar. It could not be found by exploring the toolbar area with the cursor, but alt-tab would bring it back. It also appears that all the workspaces are either gone or inaccessable. We tried several things, notably full power down reboot, and the problem persists. He can switch to KDE and it works just fine, except that a couple of the design tools do not get along with it as well as they do with gnome. We tried switching back and forth between gnome and KDE a couple of times, and KDE still works and gnome still fails. In case it makes a difference we have an NVIDIA video card and the latest Nvidia driver as of about three weeks ago running. The box itself is a Dell Precision 380. Any ideas why this would happen apparently spontaneously, and also what might be done about it? Given the mindset around here, I doubt anyone monkeyed with it in his absence. We tend to be VERY harsh with people who do that.

can you get them to at a terminal run: gnome-panel&
See if that fixes it, it is not a common thing, but the gnome-panel can die, taking its config with it. if that command above brings the panel back you may then need to right click it and add back to the panel the "work space switcher" and "window list

Hi, Changlin-

Gave your gnome-panel suggestion a try now that we are back to work after the year-end, and it aborts claiming there is already a panel running. But "it sure aint visible". And it does not react to mouse clicking either.
Anyway, it seems that it might be related, but not quite "it". And my knowledge of gnome is so meager that I really am at a loss of what to do next.

Wilville

I used to have that problem many moons ago with the older RH versions. I would run this command from the terminal and I would get the panel (toolbar) back.

gnome-panel-properties-capplet

Like I said it was about 5 years ago or so, so that command may not work but it's worth a try. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back