Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gnome desktop is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

coper

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
I'm running RH7.1 Gnome

Last night I encountered a problem after login boot up hangs for a while with Sawfish, then when I get to gnome desktop I get alert - non-compliant desktop. My desktop icons are on the taskbar as well.

-- gnome hangs for several seconds at the overlapping
windows icon after graphical login displays sawfish

Not sure where the problem lies or how to fix it. Anybody no how to get back to compliant gnome desktop.

Thanks

Hello,

Is it possible to just re-install gnome/sawfish to get it back to default settings that it usually has after fresh install? I have the cd.

Thanks

Does this happen for every user? If so, you might want to try re-installing gnome. If it only happens for one user, then I would backup/delete all the .gnome directories in the users directory, and launch gnome, which should recreate all the user files for gnome. Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Hi,
I'm logging in as root and currently there are no other users on this machine. So I do not see .gnome directories in my home or root directory. This machine is used for beta projects only. Do I need to delete .gnome directories to reinstall? Or just re-install all the gnome rpms off the cd.

Thanks

Are you doing an 'ls -la' in /root ? There should be some .gnome directories. If not, then yes, I would re-install the gnome RPM's from the CD. Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back