Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gmail - Less Secure Apps option removed - New method 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Over the last few months was doing restores on my router and BCM troubleshooting no recordings or emails, also bouncing back and forth between App, Google page, and BCM, so I forget the exact order/process so this is just a "tip".

New method is done using both 2 step verification and App Passwords.

In the BCM and/or Callpilot SMTP settings you will now use the "app password" instead of the email account password.

I am using Android.

On a device such as your mobile or tablet go to Play Store and download Google Authentication App

You will need to go to "Manage Your Google Account"
-Signing in to Google
-Security
-2 Step Verification - Turn this ON

Go to
-Signing in to Google
-Security
-App passwords
There is where you will create a name such as "BCM SMTP" and generate or eneter a password.

The Google Authentication App comes into play with QR codes etc when prompted.

If somebody wants to try and do a step by step that would be nice.

Edit: I found this simple step by step video
However no mention of Google Authenticator, perhaps because the video is 2 years old or.... I got lost in Google.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks. I had to do this recently on my FreePBX on a Raspberry Pi. Gmail doesn't allow third party apps to relay email as it considers them insecure. So you have to generate an app password to enable a device to access SMTP for features like voicemail to email, and any email notifications for major alarms, automated backups, etc.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Yes, this has been a big problem with the Avaya IP Office too. Some users have also had a lot of success with setting up an account on Outlook.com if the don't want to or can't use Gmail anymore.

Thank you all and exsmogger for the extra info.

Update:

Go to
-Signing in to Google
-Security
-App passwords

App passwords is not listed under Security anymore.
I cannot find anything online that states it was removed but here is the direct link:

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back